Jun 29, 2014, 10:55 PM EDT
According to a report in Spanish paper AS, an unnamed Colombian teammate has said injured Radamel Falcao “dreams” of playing for Real Madrid.
“Falcao thinks he’s going to join Real Madrid this summer,” says the teammate. “He dreams of playing there, and is only prepared to listen to offers from Los Blancos.”
Recovering from ACL surgery that kept the Monaco striker out of the World Cup, Falcao visited the Colombian training base in Sao Paulo to meet up with his international teammates.
According to the report, Falcao’s contract with Monaco includes a clause that allows a release for any approach from Real Madrid. It’s unknown if there’s a minimum value on the release clause, but common wisdom would conclude that there’s probably some type of amount Los Blancos would have to hit to trigger the clause, or it’d be silly for Monaco to agree to such terms.
This isn’t exactly a new revelation. Back in September of 2012, Falcao’s father also said, “my son’s dream is to play for Real Madrid.” It was a little more controversial of a thought at that time, given that the then-26-year-old played for Atletico Madrid.
It would make sense, considering the fact that Falcao nearly made a recovery from his ACL surgery in time to make the World Cup squad, but decided not to risk further knee damage. Most players would put playing in the World Cup at the top of their priority list, but if Falcao was on the verge of realizing a club dream, it would make sense that he not risk it in Brazil.
- Transfer needs – Everton, Hull, Leicester, Liverpool, Manchester City 0
- Olivier Giroud undergoes ankle surgery, out 3-4 months for Arsenal 0
- $410 million Las Vegas soccer stadium deal closer; next stop, Major League Soccer… 6
- Report: Arsenal bid $82 million for Edinson Cavani. Remy, Falcao, Welbeck linked 8
- Confirmed: Neil Warnock takes over at Crystal Palace; what will he bring? 0
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Whole New World Edition 1