Jun 30, 2014, 2:21 PM EDT
Sacha Kljestan may not have been first choice for his new manager at Anderlecht last season, nor did he fit in the plans of one Jurgen Klinsmann on the international stage, but that doesn’t mean the mustachioed-midfielder is short of admirers.
MLSSoccer.com is reporting that the 28-year-old American, capped 46 times for the USMNT, is receiving interest from Greek super club Olympiacos.
The 6-foot-1 Kljestan has been with Belgian powers Anderlecht since 2010 and has made over 150 appearances for the club, scoring 21 goals. Perhaps best-known by American fans for his hat trick against Sweden in a 2009 friendly, Kljestan only appeared in three games for the US in 2013.
Sources close to both the player and the Athens giants have confirmed recent Belgian reports of ongoing transfer interest. Olympicaos got a good look at Kljestan, who has two years remaining on his Anderlecht deal, during a pair of Champions League tilts between the two clubs last year.
Olympiacos are the most successful Greek team of all time, with four straight league crowns and 41 in total. Should Kljestan join up, he would become the third American to play for the club, following Peter Philipakos and Peter Skouras.
Greece has a much-higher UEFA coefficient than Belgium, and Kljestan would jump from a Champions League group stage team right onto another. The fact that a player like Kljestan exists, playing at a high level abroad but unable to find a fit on the national team, shows just how far the United States program has come in the last 20 years.
- Official: Andrea Pirlo announces his arrival at New York City FC (video) 4
- It’s all-but-official as Juventus says thanks to Pirlo, wishes him best with New York City 0
- GLORY IN PHOTOS: Our favorite shots from the USWNT’s winning evening in Vancouver 0
- CONCACAF lays out reform plan post-scandal: “People are right to be skeptical” 1
- Carli Lloyd proves she’s the Women’s World Cup hero she always knew she would be 1
- Mission accomplished: Abby Wambach gets her World Cup title 1