Suarez issues “My apologies to Chiellini”; doesn’t really admit much

Jun 30, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT

FBL-WC2014-QUALIFIERS-URUGUAY-PRESSER Getty Images

It’s always about baby steps with Luis Suarez.

As Uruguay and Liverpool continue to reel from the fallout of their superstar’s bite of Italian defender Giorgio Chiellini — and subsequent four-month suspension — the striker has come out and issued an apology to both Chiellini and the world of football.

What Suarez doesn’t do is admit to biting the defender, which isn’t surprising given his previous “shoulder thrust” and “lost balance” comments. Despite leaving his feet and sinking his teeth into Chiellini, Suarez simply apologizes that the Italian “suffered the physical result of a bite in the collision he suffered with me.”

[ MORE: Uruguayan president lashes out at FIFA | Not just Uruguay upset over Suarez ban ]

From Suarez’s Twitter:

It’s really a disappointing effort from the 27-year-old, and feels even less sincere given the reports that Barcelona wouldn’t accept him as a transfer option without some sort of an apology.

Yes, this does count ‘some sort’ of apology, but it’s pretty hollow. Suarez burned plenty of fans with his first two bites — that part is still darkly-humorous to type — and race row with Patrice Evra, and some bought into his reclamation acts of this season. But suffice it to say that Luis Suarez will not receive the benefit of a doubt anytime soon… and certainly not from me in this case.

1. troy2 - Jun 30, 2014 at 2:32 PM

Officer I am so sorry that old lady suffered the physical result of her arm being pulled when her purse got caught on my arm as I was just wandering by, minding my own business. I am also sorry for the financial result of her having lost her money in her purse as a result of it getting stuck on my arm as I innocently walked by.

Is all of Uruguay this oblivious? As far as I’m concerned Suarez (and as a result, the whole team) had it coming since the last World Cup in South Africa when he purposely hand-balled on the goal line against Ghana. They will apparently do anything and believe anything just so long as they win. He and they got what was coming.

2. roarofthemasses - Jun 30, 2014 at 3:18 PM

Can one athlete anywhere write something like this all alone? Enough already with PR teams drafting statements.

3. sabatimus - Jun 30, 2014 at 3:35 PM

That’s about as close as an apology I’ve ever seen a non-apology be.

4. The History Bear - Jun 30, 2014 at 3:50 PM

If you can think of a more sincere way of apologizing that doesn’t involve bullet points, I’d like to hear it.

• Nicholas Mendola - Jun 30, 2014 at 3:51 PM

I like to think of him saying, “So, to recap” while giving a powerpoint to Chiellini. Maybe some neat emojis.

• tridecagon - Jul 1, 2014 at 9:58 AM

He basically said “I’m sorry that Chiellini put his shoulder into my obnoxiously large teeth”.

5. kando53 - Jun 30, 2014 at 5:24 PM

So just which idiot decided to term that an apology?

PST Extra: The Manchester derby