Jun 30, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
It’s always about baby steps with Luis Suarez.
As Uruguay and Liverpool continue to reel from the fallout of their superstar’s bite of Italian defender Giorgio Chiellini — and subsequent four-month suspension — the striker has come out and issued an apology to both Chiellini and the world of football.
What Suarez doesn’t do is admit to biting the defender, which isn’t surprising given his previous “shoulder thrust” and “lost balance” comments. Despite leaving his feet and sinking his teeth into Chiellini, Suarez simply apologizes that the Italian “suffered the physical result of a bite in the collision he suffered with me.”
From Suarez’s Twitter:
My apologies to Chiellini: pic.twitter.com/CvfkkjxzlM
— Luis Suarez (@luis16suarez) June 30, 2014
It’s really a disappointing effort from the 27-year-old, and feels even less sincere given the reports that Barcelona wouldn’t accept him as a transfer option without some sort of an apology.
Yes, this does count ‘some sort’ of apology, but it’s pretty hollow. Suarez burned plenty of fans with his first two bites — that part is still darkly-humorous to type — and race row with Patrice Evra, and some bought into his reclamation acts of this season. But suffice it to say that Luis Suarez will not receive the benefit of a doubt anytime soon… and certainly not from me in this case.
- The great Southampton exodus continues. Why is this happening? 1
- Arsenal confirm $27 million signing of Calum Chambers 0
- Manchester City host #AskJesus (Navas) Twitter chat, hilarious comments ensue 1
- VIDEO: Mario Balotelli takes amazing selfie with two pitch invaders 1
- Teams confirm Dejan Lovren completes transfer from Southampton to Liverpool 0
- Loïc Rémy fails medical, move to Liverpool is off 5