Jun 30, 2014, 1:45 PM EST
It’s always about baby steps with Luis Suarez.
As Uruguay and Liverpool continue to reel from the fallout of their superstar’s bite of Italian defender Giorgio Chiellini — and subsequent four-month suspension — the striker has come out and issued an apology to both Chiellini and the world of football.
What Suarez doesn’t do is admit to biting the defender, which isn’t surprising given his previous “shoulder thrust” and “lost balance” comments. Despite leaving his feet and sinking his teeth into Chiellini, Suarez simply apologizes that the Italian “suffered the physical result of a bite in the collision he suffered with me.”
From Suarez’s Twitter:
My apologies to Chiellini: pic.twitter.com/CvfkkjxzlM
— Luis Suarez (@luis16suarez) June 30, 2014
It’s really a disappointing effort from the 27-year-old, and feels even less sincere given the reports that Barcelona wouldn’t accept him as a transfer option without some sort of an apology.
Yes, this does count ‘some sort’ of apology, but it’s pretty hollow. Suarez burned plenty of fans with his first two bites — that part is still darkly-humorous to type — and race row with Patrice Evra, and some bought into his reclamation acts of this season. But suffice it to say that Luis Suarez will not receive the benefit of a doubt anytime soon… and certainly not from me in this case.
- Marvell Wynne, Bakary Soumare headline Stage 2 of MLS Re-Entry Draft results 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Arsenal, Everton rising, Saints falling 0
- Robbie Rogers: FIFA “insane” to host World Cups in Russia, Qatar 3
- Stoke City confirm Brek Shea is finalizing move to Orlando City 1
- Soccer stadium approved in Las Vegas, as MLS expansion talk heats up in Sin City 1
- Borussia Dortmund’s Marco Reus fined $665,000 for driving without a license 1