Jun 30, 2014, 12:16 PM EDT
As Orlando City Soccer Club prepare to unveil Brazilian legend Kaka as their marquee signing ahead of their entry to Major League Soccer in 2015, it is worth contemplating where this deal ranks in the league’s history.
Kaka, a World Cup winner with Brazil and veteran of AC Milan and Real Madrid, terminated his contract with AC Milan on Monday and Orlando have since announced that a “major player announcement” would be made on Tuesday.
[ RELATED: Kaka heading to Orlando City ]
As we look back in the recent history of MLS, since the Designated Player rule arrived in 2007, where will Kaka’s signing rank? Of course the deal is not official yet but by Tuesday morning we should see Kaka in the purple of Orlando.
Below is a list of the top 10 prominent ‘star signings’ in MLS history, with their star power ranked accordingly. Of course some of these players are very new to the league and others players in the past may not have been a huge names coming into MLS (I’m thinking of Guillermo Barros Schelotto, Fredy Montero and a few others) but they certainly had a huge impact. We are just going for the superstar factor here, folks.
Do you agree with this list? Which players would you add into the mix? Let us know in the comments section below.
BIGGEST SIGNINGS IN MLS HISTORY
1. David Beckham
2. Thierry Henry
3. *** Kaka ***
4. David Villa
5. Robbie Keane
8. Tim Cahill
9. Jermain Defoe
10. Juan Pablo Angel
- LIVE – Champions League half time update: Blowouts! Get your blowouts here! 0
- FOLLOW LIVE: At the half, unstoppable Bayern Munich up 5-0 at Roma 0
- CSKA Moscow 2-2 Manchester City: Citizens blow 2-0 lead, Champions League hopes in ruin 0
- PST’s Major League Soccer power rankings: Did Seattle, DC leapfrog LA? 0
- PST’s MLS Player of the Week: Heavy on Eastern Conference nominees 0
- Premier League player of the week – Round 8 0