Jul 1, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT
Switzerland and Argentina are bringing plenty of excitement to an already-raucous Arena de São Paulo. There hasn’t been the final ball yet, but still plenty of high-tension excitement for neutrals and fans alike.
There’s a sad story coming out of the Switzerland camp, as head coach Ottmar Hitzfeld suffered the loss of his brother to leukemia just hours before the match.
FOLLOW LIVE: Soccerly’s real-time match center
Other key moments:
20′ – Lionel Messi splits two defenders but one of them, Ricardo Rodriguez, recovers to tackle the ball away as the Argentina breaks toward the box.
25′ – Messi’s free kick is behind Higuain, who heads over the bar. Still not much true danger in the match.
28′ – Romero makes a strong foot save on Granit Xhaka, whose hard low shot from about 15 yards out can’t find its way into the goal.
29′ – Lavezzi now has a shot from 10 yards away, but his snap goes right to the keeper Benaglio.
37′ – Josep Drmic gets himself 1v1 with Romero, but his cheeky chip isn’t executed well enough to soar above the Argentine keeper.
Questions for the second half:
Can Argentina sort out Switzerland’s defense? The Swiss back line and midfield are fouling Messi and Angel Di Maria, frustrating the offensive attack and countering well. Surely, the Argentine team will find something forward?
Can Switzerland make good on the counter? You could argue the Swiss should be up 1-0 at a minimum. Will they rue the missed chances, or find another way through?
- Three things we learned after Liverpool’s latest defeat, this time vs. Basel 0
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Arsenal cruise, Liverpool lose, Real Madrid win 0
- Arsenal 4-1 Galatasaray: Welbeck’s hat-trick leads 10-man Arsenal to victory 0
- Hat-Trick Hero: Danny Welbeck nails three in thumping of Galatasaray 1
- Report: Red Bull’s days in MLS are likely numbered 9
- Men in Blazers podcast: Wayne Rooney’s implosion, Derby Day and an MiBNT update 0