Jul 1, 2014, 8:06 AM EDT
It’s a ‘long-term deal’ for the England midfielder, with the the BBC reporting that the transfer will cost the Reds almost $43 million. Liverpool had already acquired forward Rickie Lambert from Southampton.
And the post-Mauricio Pochettino exodus from St. Mary’s also includes Luke Shaw, the 18-year-old defender who moved to Manchester United for close to $60 million.
Upon completing his transfer to Liverpool, the midfielder said: “I’m so excited for the next chapter of my career, coming to a special club like Liverpool. I’m quite humbled and I just can’t wait to get started.
“Hopefully I can settle in quickly, and I will give it my best throughout the whole time I’m here. I hope I can add something to the team and hopefully we can win trophies while I’m here, because that’s why I’m here – for success.”
Lallana arrives at Liverpool fresh from returning from Brazil, where he was a part of England’s World Cup squad, making three appearances at the finals.
The deal gives Liverpool tremendous depth for their UEFA Champions League run, and will certainly cement the questions regarding Southampton’s future in the Premier League. New manager Ronald Koeman will have to work wonders with the Saints’ revered academy products and new transfer buys to keep Southampton in the vicinity of the top half, or in the league at all. Will Morgan Schneiderlin, Dejan Lovren and others remain with the club once August arrives?
- Switzerland 1-1 USMNT: Another late equalizer cancels out Shea’s stunner 0
- VIDEO: Watch Brek Shea’s stunning free kick for USA against Switzerland 1
- Lineups out for USMNT vs. Switzerland: Williams, Morales, Shea come in; diamond in midfield 2
- VIDEO: Watch Real Madrid’s Gareth Bale dominate NBA’s half court challenge 0
- Study says Lionel Messi top striker in 2015, Cristiano Ronaldo 29th best 3
- USMNT vs Switzerland preview: Last time they met, Michael Bradley scored the winner with a full head of hair 0