Jul 1, 2014, 11:36 AM EDT
Confidence is key if your team is going to advance in the World Cup, and Switzerland coach Ottmar Hitzfeld has plenty of self-assured thoughts regarding his team’s chances at stopping Argentina superstar Lionel Messi.
“How to stop Messi? We’ll show you tomorrow how we do it,” Hitzfeld said Monday.
Okay, well, an upset from Switzerland would give the European nation its first ever win over the South American power.
[ MORE Soccerly: Follow Live ]
Argentina: Romero; Zabaleta, Fede Fernández, Garay, Rojo; Gago, Mascherano, Di María; Lavezzi, Messi, Higuaín
Switzerland: Benaglio; Lichtsteiner, Djourou, Schaer, Rodriquez; Shaqiri, Inler, Xhaka, Behrami, Mehmedi; Drmic
- Will the pressure get to Messi in a knockout game? Four goals in three games is pretty good, as the superstar is punching holes in the argument that he’s less impressive on the international stage than with Barcelona.
- Can the Swiss attack get Argentina off balance early? Say what you will about Messi, but Xherdan Shaqiri is the one with a World Cup hat trick this year. Will the Swiss put their South American opponents on the wrong-foot?
- Manchester City host #AskJesus (Navas) Twitter chat, hilarious comments ensue 0
- VIDEO: Mario Balotelli takes amazing selfie with two pitch invaders 0
- Teams confirm Dejan Lovren completes transfer from Southampton to Liverpool 0
- Loïc Rémy fails medical, move to Liverpool is off 5
- Ángel Di María approaching Paris Saint-Germain move 0
- Personal terms all that separates Griezmann from $40 million move to Atlético Madrid 0