Jul 1, 2014, 6:08 PM EST
Less than three minutes into extra time, the U.S. are staring elimination from the World Cup in the face.
It took substitute Romelu Lukaku just a few minutes to make a huge impact as he ran into U.S. center back Matt Besler, moved towards goal and pulled the ball back to Kevin De Bruyne who slotted the ball home coolly to put Belgium 1-0 up.
The U.S. goal is now living a charmed life, as Belgium continue to pile the pressure on with the rest of extra time looming.
To compound the USA”s misery, Chris Wondolowski had a massive chance that he skied right on full time. Later it was revealed that he was flagged offside, but the San Jose Earthquakes forward was clearly in an offside position.
With less than 20 minutes to go the U.S. need one goal to take the game to penalty kicks.
Can they do it?
- Premier League Preview: Aston Villa vs. Manchester United 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Everton, Manchester United, Liverpool 0
- Report: Garcia’s World Cup ethics report to be released after all 3
- Paul Scholes: Thierry Henry’s legendary goal vs. Man United was my fault 2
- Premier League Power Rankings: Arsenal, Everton rising, Saints falling 3
- Robbie Rogers: FIFA “insane” to host World Cups in Russia, Qatar 6