Jul 1, 2014, 4:36 PM EDT
Just 30 minutes into the match in Salvador, the U.S. national team are down a player as Fabian Johnson has gone off injured.
FOLLOW LIVE: USA vs. Belgium
Johnson was replaced by 20-year-old Seattle Sounders right back DeAndre Yedlin, as the MLS youngster was thrust into the spotlight after only a few brief cameo displays for the Stars and Stripes.
Throughout the tournament Johnson has been one of the USA’s best players, as the Hoffenheim defender has added an extra-dimension down the right flank with his searing pace. Yedlin is a similar player, although many felt that perhaps Geoff Cameron could switch to right back and Kyle Beckerman would come into midfield after Johnson’s unfortunate injury.
Jurgen Klinsmann’s side will now have to adjust to having a rookie right back and still take the game to Belgium, despite being under pressure throughout the first half.
- MLS Snapshot: New York Red Bulls 4-1 Seattle Sounders 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: Man City vs. Chelsea; Everton, Spurs, Man United in action 0
- Watch Live: New York Red Bulls vs. Seattle Sounders (Lineups) 0
- Premier League roundup: Arsenal, Southampton win, Liverpool upset 0
- West Ham United 3-1 Liverpool: Early goals send Irons to big upset 2
- Newcastle United 2-2 Hull City: Cisse’s brace saves embattled Magpies (video) 0