Jul 1, 2014, 4:36 PM EST
Just 30 minutes into the match in Salvador, the U.S. national team are down a player as Fabian Johnson has gone off injured.
FOLLOW LIVE: USA vs. Belgium
Johnson was replaced by 20-year-old Seattle Sounders right back DeAndre Yedlin, as the MLS youngster was thrust into the spotlight after only a few brief cameo displays for the Stars and Stripes.
Throughout the tournament Johnson has been one of the USA’s best players, as the Hoffenheim defender has added an extra-dimension down the right flank with his searing pace. Yedlin is a similar player, although many felt that perhaps Geoff Cameron could switch to right back and Kyle Beckerman would come into midfield after Johnson’s unfortunate injury.
Jurgen Klinsmann’s side will now have to adjust to having a rookie right back and still take the game to Belgium, despite being under pressure throughout the first half.
- Liverpool 2-2 Arsenal: Wounded Skrtel turns away Gunners at the death (video) 1
- Arsene Wenger says Arsenal could spend big in January, if the deals are right 0
- Real Madrid outclass San Lorenzo, win 2014 Club World Cup 6
- Premier League Sunday preview: Loaded morning sees Tyne-Wear Derby and Liverpool vs. Arsenal 0
- Premier League roundup: Goals galore as Saints, Tottenham, QPR, Man City win 0
- WATCH: Match of the Day – Recap Saturday’s madness in the Premier League 0