Jul 1, 2014, 4:36 PM EST
Just 30 minutes into the match in Salvador, the U.S. national team are down a player as Fabian Johnson has gone off injured.
FOLLOW LIVE: USA vs. Belgium
Johnson was replaced by 20-year-old Seattle Sounders right back DeAndre Yedlin, as the MLS youngster was thrust into the spotlight after only a few brief cameo displays for the Stars and Stripes.
Throughout the tournament Johnson has been one of the USA’s best players, as the Hoffenheim defender has added an extra-dimension down the right flank with his searing pace. Yedlin is a similar player, although many felt that perhaps Geoff Cameron could switch to right back and Kyle Beckerman would come into midfield after Johnson’s unfortunate injury.
Jurgen Klinsmann’s side will now have to adjust to having a rookie right back and still take the game to Belgium, despite being under pressure throughout the first half.
- PHOTOS: LA Galaxy, Real Salt Lake, Montreal Impact, Chicago Fire unveil new 2015 jerseys 1
- WATCH: Midweek Premier League TV schedule – Week 28 0
- 2015 MLS predictions: Cup winners? MVP? Lampard or Gerrard? Kaka or Giovinco? 2
- MLS Atlanta makes shrewd hire, bringing in Carlos Bocanegra as technical director 0
- BBC report: Sunderland’s Adam Johnson arrested on suspicion of sex with a 15-year-old girl 4
- Premier League Playback: Why Manchester City are throwing away the title 0