Jul 1, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
After the USA’s defeat to Belgium in the Round of 16 on Tuesday, the Twittersphere reacted to the U.S. being knocked out of the World Cup.
Athletes, politicians and celebrities of every kind took to social media to salute the magnificent U.S. effort and let the 23-men who made a nation proud know just what they had achieved.
[RELATED: Player Ratings - How the U.S. fared ]
[RELATED: Three things we learned ]
Below is a whole host of messages sent out in support of the U.S. national team, as a somber yet appreciative mood sweeps across America.
New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees.
JT was impressed with what he saw, and proud. Please don’t “cry me a river”…
Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson.
Belgian captain Vincent Kompany shows his respect for Howard’s wonderful performance.
The U.S. players almost got a smooch from Katy Perry… almost…
Ryan Seacrest shows his pride.
Actor James Van Der Beek.
San Francsico 49ers show their appreciation.
Tim Howard remains a god. Hanx—
Tom Hanks (@tomhanks) July 01, 2014
Wayne Rooney will be gutted with the result…
Have to admit I'm a USA fan today—
Wayne Rooney (@WayneRooney) July 01, 2014
The White House and President Obama have high hopes for the future.
- Atlanta’s new MLS franchise has already sold 14,000 season tickets 3
- No signings in 2015: Barcelona’s transfer ban upheld, FIFA rejects appeal 3
- Report: Tottenham set to raid Manchester United, line up Fellaini, Hernandez deals 6
- Spanish Super Cup: Late goal allows Atlético to claim first leg draw at Real Madrid 0
- UEFA Champions League Roundup: Arsenal held; Athletic takes 1-1 draw out of Naples 1
- PST Major League Soccer Player of the Week: Fabián Castillo 0