Jul 2, 2014, 8:52 AM EDT
The Premier League transfer season rolls on despite the World Cup, and two big names are on the world’s market now that Chelsea has officially waved goodbye to two big names.
Cameroon striker Samuel Eto’o will leave the club after just one season at Stamford Bridge, while Ashley Cole will not be offered a new deal at the club despite being one of the club’s all-time outside backs.
Neither move is a major surprise, with Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho vocally none-too-pleased with his striker depth last season and Cole’s age a factor. The England back was left off the World Cup roster as well.
The contracts of the former England full-back and the Cameroon striker, both 33, expired on Monday, and neither was offered fresh terms.
“Cole has a very strong claim to be the club’s greatest player of all time in his position,” read a statement.
“Chelsea thanks Ashley for the fantastic service throughout his eight years here and for helping to bring so many trophies home.”
Meanwhile, Newcastle United will attempt to solve their massive midfield problems with the addition of Ajax captain Siem de Jong. The 25-year-old is the brother of forward Luuk de Jong, who went on loan to Newcastle last season, but has a much more accomplished resume.
It’s a six-year deal for the No. 10, and rumors of an $8 million fee abound. Siem de Jong has performed well in Europe as well — not currently a concern for Newcastle — and will restore some hope to the suffering club.
- Vancouver sends Nigel Reo-Coker to Chivas USA for Mauro Rosales 0
- Tim Howard taking a break from U.S. international duty 4
- Report: Xabi Alonso heading to Manchester United 7
- Mario Balotelli edging closer to shock $26 million Liverpool switch 16
- Thursday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Tiote to Arsenal, Destro to Chelsea 0
- Angel Di Maria gets love from Ronaldo, Sergio Ramos and Diego Simeone 2