Jul 2, 2014, 5:10 PM EDT
Luis Suarez has been offered a lifeline from Kosovo Superleague club KF Hajvalia to play professional soccer during the four-month ban handed down by FIFA.
The escape is predicated on the fact that FIFA regulations lack jurisdiction over Kosovo, who have yet to become full members of the governing body.
Hajvalia have offered Liverpool a fee of nearly $43,000 (£25,000) to take the disgraced striker for the four month ban he was handed by FIFA after being found guilty of biting Italy’s Giorgio Chiellini during Uruguay’s 1-0 victory in last week’s Group D clash. The club’s offer also includes a monthly salary offer to Suarez in the amount of of $2,058 (£1200).
Hajvalia club director, Xhavit Pacolli, spoke to Kosovo periodical, Sport Plus:
Suarez can’t play in the next four months. As we are not part of Fifa yet, I think he can play in Kosovo, so we have an offer that we will send to Liverpool….
This is the maximum we can offer. We offered £25,000 and a salary of £1200 for each month. This might sound ridiculous to him, but that is all we can do. If he is willing to come and play for us, he is welcome. As we are not part of Fifa, it would be ideal for him.
Thus far, neither Liverpool nor Suarez has replied to the offer. And while the idea of Suarez playing in a small town of just over 7,000 inhabitants is highly intriguing, Hajvalia should not hold its breath. The club’s offer seemingly (and cleverly) accesses a loophole in FIFA’s ban but considering Kosovo is a country seeking admission to FIFA, providing asylum to Suarez could put that bid in jeopardy of becoming a reality.
Hajvalia, who finished 6th in last year’s Superleague, plays its home matches at the 1,000 capacity Hajvalia Stadium and is owned by famous folk singer, Mehedin Pergjegjaj.
- Frank Lampard delighted to sign for New York City FC, start MLS adventure 0
- Official: Frank Lampard unveiled as New York City FC’s latest signing 2
- Sporting Club announces plans for $75 million “soccer village” for US Soccer National Training Center 4
- “Embarrassed” in LA, thrilled in Manchester: Reactions to 7-0 beatdown 10
- Liverpool 0-1 AS Roma: Marco Borriello winner gives Italians victory at Fenway 0
- Houston Dynamo land USMNT legend DaMarcus Beasley 5