Jul 2, 2014, 1:40 PM EDT
Two months ago we asked whether you’d be comfortable with the United States claiming FSV Mainz forward Shawn Parker as their own, and now the 21-year-old striker has found a new club in the Bundesliga.
Parker has switched to FC Augsburg, which finished one point below Mainz on the Bundesliga table. He scored one goal in 11 appearances (three starts) for Mainz, which has Cameroon international Eric Choupo Moting and Japan starter Shinji Okazaki ahead of him on the depth chart.
As for Augsburg, Parker joins a strike force with Turkish star Halil Altintop. There are fewer established forwards in the ranks, and their interest in Parker bodes well for the youngster.
“Shawn approached us because he felt he needed a change. He wanted to play a more important role in a new environment and in a new team than was possible with us recently,” said Mainz’s sporting director Christian Heidel. “We think this step is a good decision for his personal development and we therefore wish him all the very best.”
Parker was a produce of Mainz’s youth academy and he made his Bundesliga debut in October 2012 against 1899 Hoffenheim. He totalled 27 Bundesliga appearances for the Coface Arena club, scoring four goals, although he made only three starts last season.
“Augsburg have a young coach, a great team and a tight-knit yet highly-professional environment,” said Parker. “I’m sure something big is growing here in terms of the future and to be part of it is a big opportunity which I am delighted to take.”
It’s a four-year deal for the 5-foot-10 attacker.
- PST’s Major League Soccer Player of the Week: LA Galaxy’s Landon Donovan 0
- What tomorrow’s goalkeeper platoon tells us about the U.S. goalkeeper void 3
- Jozy Altidore to captain U.S. Wednesday against Czech Republic 0
- With Radamel Falcao, can Manchester United challenge for the Premier League? 10
- Why Danny Welbeck’s move to Arsenal was the best Deadline Day deal 7
- EXCLUSIVE: Fresh off his club debut, young Emerson Hyndman takes his USMNT chance in stride 0