Jul 2, 2014, 9:35 PM EDT
The pitch-invader during the United States’ 2-1 loss to Belgium in the Round of 16 found a clever way to put himself in position to get on the pitch – by using a wheelchair to gain himself a select spot to pounce onto the field of play.
The man, Mario Ferri, is a well-known pitch invader from Italy who bears a resemblance to Antonio Cassano, who, ironically enough, is a player Ferri ran onto a Serie A pitch earlier this year to support. Wearing a Superman tee shirt bearing Cassano’s name, Ferri ran onto the home side’s field during the Sampdoria-Napoli match to support the striker’s bid to make the Italian National Team.
On Tuesday, Ferri broke out the Superman tee again but this time with the hashtag “Save favelas children”, referring to Brazil’s impoverished neighborhoods, many of which were occupied and demolished by the government before this summer’s World Cup.
- Report: Multiple FIFA officials arrested in Zurich, extradited to United States 3
- Mourinho rips Top 4 rivals at awards dinner; Takes extra shot at Wenger’s Arsenal 1
- Premier League Grades: How did each team fare in 2014-15? 7
- Premier League Playback: Looking back at a memorable 2014-15 season 0
- Didier Drogba open to Major League Soccer move after leaving Chelsea 9
- Real Madrid president asked what’s wrong with Carlo Ancelotti: “I don’t know” 2