WATCH: Wynalda rips Klinsmann’s “almost un-American” act in weird rant

Jul 2, 2014, 11:16 AM EDT

Eric Wynalda Getty Images

Former USMNT striker Eric Wynalda claims the United States wasn’t attacking enough in its World Cup, and actually had to be cautioned to calm down after dropping an S-bomb during an appearance on “The Dan Patrick Show”.

“This is a boxing match that was fifteen rounds and we went the first 10 rounds with one arm tied behind our backs,” Wynalda said.

Wynalda also referenced his being benched against Brazil in the 1994 World Cup in a “Glory Days” moment that is incomparable and very regrettable. The U.S. lost that game 1-0, by the way.

[ MORE: Analyzing Jurgen Klinsmann's first World Cup with U.S. ]

[ MORE: Three things we learned in U.S. loss to Belgium ]

When asked about Klinsmann moving forward, Wynalda called him “almost un-American.”

“The whole country is singing this song, ‘I Believe’, and the only guy who didn’t believe was Jurgen,” Wynalda said. “That’s hard on the players, all the people in this country who are really ready to get behind this sport… That’s just almost un-American.”

As an analyst, he liked the move of Geoff Cameron to midfield, but said the No. 1 problem was Michael Bradley playing out of position.

Personal opinion: the take was clown shoes. Wynalda sounded like a sour grapes guy who was looking for another reason to rip on Jurgen Klinsmann and not the players or mismatches.

Watch it here:

1. jslip1 - Jul 2, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Wow. Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed. So much that we can be hopeful about and look forward to and Wynalda is like King Wet Blanket.

2. jj871 - Jul 2, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Wynalda just wants his job. It’s painstakingly obvious.

3. footballer4ever - Jul 2, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Wynalda is pissed off that USSF hired Klinsmann and not him as the National Team coach. As a hard head and rebel he is, he is going to go around spitting his venom. what a pathetic ex US Nat’l footballer and US “soccer” fan he has become.

4. egb234 - Jul 2, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Kind of a final straw for me with Wynalda. I liked to think of him as a future USMNT coach, and I loved him as a player, I’ve always thought of him as a fierce competitor who would will is to victory from the sideline.

When Klinnsman came in I was suspicious of the idea that a former dive master who was discredited as a coach by German players could have any success in the US. Slowly, I watched the teams play improve over the last few years until the Hex showed we were at the top of our game. Then, watching his substitutions and in game adjustments during the group of death, I was fully converted. He has done a great job, and I am glad I was wrong.

I’m just bummed that I was wrong about Wynalda, too. He’s just another loser.

• sw19womble - Jul 2, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Klinsmann has set the foundations for the USMNT – solid, teamwork, building from the defensive line out.

It remains to be seen if he has the ability – or indeed courage – to follow up and allow the natural flair and creativity to flow. Seeing the replacement right back and Green both willing to bomb forward and show no fear last night, I think it’s clear that there’s some depth in young players coming forward, who haven’t necessarily been drilled with the ‘keep your shape, let’s keep them out’ mentality.

Klinsmann should be able to do that – but is there someone else who can take the US team to the next level?

Obviously it’s not Wynalda! He’ll just tear everything Klinsmann’s built up, out of pure spite. Having some assistant coaches who can work on attack-minded formations I think is the way forward.

• ashton1900 - Jul 2, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Wynalda is right Klinsman could not coach a junior team he is no coach, and worry about his playing days Germany always had a good team with Balak, Matheius and those guys not Klinsman, I saw Wynalda play he was also a good player. Please google Klinsman coaching jobs in europe and then you can come to your own conclusion.

• robtrodes - Jul 2, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Klinsmann took the 2004 German team that had exited from the UEFA cup in the group stage, added a bunch of young players, replaced Oliver Kahn with Jens Lehmann (talk about controversy!!) and brought them to third place in the world cup in 2006. Then he left, and the Germans have been a top team ever since. When I heard that he was available, I couldn’t think of a better choice to take the USA to the next level. Wynalda a future USMNT coach? Sorry, no. He doesn’t have the track record or the disposition to pull a group of world-class players together and turn them into a team. There aren’t too many coaches who can, and Klinsmann is one of them.

• ashton1900 - Jul 2, 2014 at 8:52 PM

I just want to ask you one question. Have you ever play this game at a high level, becaus if you have not played this game you are wrong. First check out Klinsman coaching record and you can go google his name.He was a good player but as a coach he stinks. I can almost guarantee if I was coaching that team the lineup would have been different you don’t change your lineup unless someone is hurting, that just messed up the team chemistry. second I would have taken Bradley he stunk up the game and bring so much pressure on the defense with his not so good passing, I would have bring in a rugged midfielder as Carl Beckerman he did not do that and the last thing he should have taken London Donovan he is a better goal getter than Dempsey. I saw Dempsey in the EPL and he was nothing to write home about. At my age if I was in a little shame I would have perform better than him. Thanks to Tim Howard he save US an embarrassment at least about 8 goals, defensive midfielder Bradley was nowhere to be found. and you calledd Klinsman a good coach. Please Google him and you will see what I am talking about not his playing days his coaching. I want to say please don’t get pissed at me just the facts. (just check it out) I also played at a high level so I know a little something about the game.

• malaguy - Jul 7, 2014 at 2:59 PM

Go away. Learn better grammar. Come back when you can form a coherent argument. Klinsmann is a great coach, and most of us are glad he will be sticking around for 4 more years.

• boz - Jul 3, 2014 at 3:15 AM

Which “group of death” are you taking about? Turns out there were other Groups that were just as difficult if not more. There are no easy groups at the World Cup. U.S. fans just want to make their task seem herculean, either to make their ‘achievement’ (of 4 pts) look earth-shattering, but ultimately because they play not to lose — which is exactly what Eric Wynalda is saying here. The USMNT regressed from 2010, and that’s just how it is.

• tariencole - Jul 3, 2014 at 8:22 PM

No easy groups? Oh my.

I’d have taken Belgium’s group in a heartbeat, what a bunch of makeweights THEY had in group stage. I would’ve swapped with Mexico in Brazil’s group. I would’ve taken Columbia’s group. Really. Greece, the Ivory Coast, and Japan?

Switzerland as a seeded team? Yeah. Sure. I’ll take that group too.

There were three legitimately difficult groups, and 5 absurdly easy ones. This was perhaps the most unbalanced World Cup draw in the modern era of the tournament.

5. christophershearin - Jul 2, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Wynalda is a twat

6. mdac1012 - Jul 2, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Did Wynalda watch the game? We weren’t attacking enough because we couldn’t maintain possession of the ball enough. We were able to do it toward the end because Belgium pulled back and were trying to hang on.

7. wwsiralexd - Jul 2, 2014 at 11:56 AM

If you ask Wynalda to compare himself against Maradona, he would say he is comparable to Maradona.

8. Greg - Jul 2, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Looking forward to FOX coverage in 2018 as Wynalda is a joy every Champions League week

/s

9. keithpoe2 - Jul 2, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Hopefully Fox Soccer realizes what a liability this ass hat is and dumps him before they get their shot.

10. wmeadows2013 - Jul 2, 2014 at 12:30 PM

Wynalda is an idiot. That guy thinks he is way better than he ever really was. Let it go Wynalda.

• footballer4ever - Jul 3, 2014 at 12:20 AM

Wynalda is the equivalent of Mexican Hugo Sanchez in the sense that they are always belitting and spitting venom at whoever is named to their respective National Football Teams because in their own eyes they have the solution.

11. cdkeli - Jul 2, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Klinsmann has proven all his initial detractors, including myself, wrong. It’s only the brain-dead like Wynaldo who remain clacking away that the sky is falling and blah, blah, blah.

12. espy70 - Jul 2, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Wynalda was a a-hole as a player and obviously he is now a bitter a-hole , go back to coaching B league soccer

13. patriotsdefense - Jul 2, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Eric Wynalda is pathetic. Klinsmanns got everything out of this team possible. He did a tremendous job. Landon Donovan wasn’t excluded from the 23 because of skill, he wasn’t in the 23 because of attitude. He never bought in. 22 guys pulling in one direction doesn’t work with one bad apple. USMNT had a great showing in Brazil and got out of a group that literally everyone said was impossible. Fox Sports is going to ruin the World Cup. Gus Johnson and Eric Wynalda are the worst booth duo in sports right now. They BUTCHERED the Champions League Final a month+ ago. It was an embarrassment. I like Gus Johnson, he is great for college basketball. Gus Johnson has no understanding of soccer, and he worse he seems disinterested in the sport. His call of the Bale go ahead extra time goal in the Champion League Final was an amateur moment.

14. elgallo2001 - Jul 2, 2014 at 1:07 PM

I did however notice that Bradley looked so much better making his run from deep in that Defensive Mid position. I think the loss of Jozy forced him too high up on the pitch where Dempsey would have played. Man, oh well, the lack of an additional target forward really hurt us through the middle in this cup.

15. pacificfc - Jul 2, 2014 at 2:28 PM

I want to say I am happy with our World Cup performance. Losing to Belgium 2-1 is a decent result given their talent. We did better than anyone expected. Similar to Wynalda, I feel we could have done better. The way things went, we could have won that game in injury time. Had we won, the only reason would have been because of Tim Howard, and in my opinion, the team wouldn’t have deserved it as much as him.. I am by no means a fan of Wynalda and he says stupid things often.. But, I do feel he was correct in his analysis. Probably didn’t do himself any favors in the delivery and timing of his criticism.

I am pleasantly surprised with many aspects of Klinsmann’s efforts as a coach. But he is not a tactician.. he is a talent developer and a motivator, and team builder and he is great at it.

Wynalda is correct that Bradley was played out of position. It was pretty evident throughout the world cup. His touch and delivery were glaringly off. Despite his mistakes, we still needed Bradley in there always. Klinsmann got that right, but, unfortunately- Bradley’s mistakes overshadowed his contributions when it should have been the other way around.

Had Klinsmann kept Bradley/Beckerman/Jones (rotated) in the holding mid and alternated between Mix/Dempsey (or even Donovan which is another subject) as offensive center mid/false forward, it would have been a different story. We had Green, Wondolowski, and Johanssen at our disposal and we BARELY used them.

Dempsey, despite scoring twice and at critical times, was lethargic(don’t blame him with that broken nose) and should have had his time shared with others so their skills could be utilized.

Belgium’s defense was in shambles and we failed to exploit that. We were always dangerous the few times we got into the attacking third, and it seemed like we only ventured there in an opportune counterattack situation, or when we had to.. (after Ghana’s Goal, after Portugal’s first goal up until our second). So I see how Wynalda feels shortchanged. I do not think he is going after Klinsmann’s job. That is ridiculous statement.

Despite lining up with the aggressive formation, instructions were obviously given to shift resources from mid and top to bolster the defense as in all the other games.

Also, I think Klinsmann over conditioned the players which was evident by the amount of strained hamstrings (Altidore, Besler, Johnson, and even Yedlin maybe at the end of the Belgium game)…another instance where he did not have confidence in their skill and attempted to patch it with conditioning..

There are many nuances to what happened and what could have happened, and although Wynalda is often a bonehead I think he got this one correct.

• robtrodes - Jul 2, 2014 at 8:28 PM

I’m not sure that we could have done much better by tweaking things. While what you say about Bradley/Beckerman/Jones, etc, would probably have yielded more goals, it probably would have yielded more for the other side too. And maybe Green should have gone in earlier. I think we would have seen him play in the Germany game, along with a bunch of other young players, if Portugal hadn’t gotten that goal at the last minute.

I think it’s rather overstating the case to say Belgium’s defense was in a shambles, except maybe after Green came in. Ours certainly was. We all talk about how we played too defensively. Then when we gave up our first goal, the pundit position was that Yedlin’s runs up the right side left that sort of thing open. in other words, we gave up our first goal while our right back was attacking.

Any discussion of Klinsmann’s coaching abilities would need to include his record with Germany in 2006, which impressed the hell out of me at the time.

• ashton1900 - Jul 2, 2014 at 8:36 PM

I totally agree with your analysis of the game. Klinsman played the game and was good but he is not a coach. First of all you don’t change lineup on a big game those guys were in sync and he went ahead and messed up everything. I am trying to figure out why he did not bring a rugged player like beckerman he was the ideal midfielder in a game like this. Bradley was horrible and should have been replace, for a guy that Klinsman praised so much he stunk. They did not play defense every time US lost the ball you have at least three guys that could not make it back and Bradley was one of them. The other thing is if you are playing not to lose in the ending of the game he should have everybody in front of the ball and then try a counter and in that case if you lose the ball you still have numbers, and as to London Donovan he should have taken him by all means he is a veteran and would have produce way more than Dempsey. I watch these guys in the EPL and Dempsey was not impressive. Klinsman probably have a personal thing against Donovan. when Mexico played Marques and he is almost forty years but he have experience and that is what you need to control your team. Last thing that people should check is what was Klinsman doing before accepting the US job he coach in Europe and I think is was maybe Real Madrid I could be wrong for one year and was release of his duties. I think what they need is a South American coach that will teach them how to control the ball and make good passes in close contact. they are afraid to hold the ball due to lack of confidence. I guarantee that Donovan would have score in tha game. I watch my team Chelsea won the EUFA cup and the only striker they had up front was Drogba all nine players were in their half defending. Barcelona probably had the ball for at least 80% of the time but they lost could not get off a clean shot, I could have set a better setup than him just pack the midfield and your good. The best player that perform on the USMT was Beasley I am sorry but that’s how I see it.

• Mark - Jul 3, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Belgium’s defense was in shambles? ROLF. Seriously, they never had to do any work because the US rarely had the ball in Belgium’s half.

Wynalda sounds ridiculous. He will never be the USMNT coach.

16. godsholytrousers - Jul 2, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Wynalda is payed to be a provocateur, this is his job. Don’t feel bad about it.

17. mikeevergreen - Jul 2, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Whine-alda needs to shut up and pray Arthur Blank hires him away form the Silverbacks when Atlanta 2017 starts play.

• mikeevergreen - Jul 2, 2014 at 3:29 PM

moderator purge this one, has a misspelling.

18. mikeevergreen - Jul 2, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Whine-alda needs to shut up and pray Arthur Blank hires him away from the Silverbacks when Atlanta 2017 starts play.

19. askyeshua - Jul 2, 2014 at 3:32 PM

I want to take the guy seriously, I really do. But from the kind of less-than-enlightening “analysis”(if you can call it that) I’ve seen Eric Wynalda make on FOX, I am surprised he is given any airtime as a so-called expert! What’s even more shocking is that he has even been considered as a potential USMNT coach.

20. renhoekk2 - Jul 2, 2014 at 4:09 PM

It’s tough to play smash and grab every game and win a tournament like the World Cup. I think what is a little perplexing is that was not the style they played in the Gold Cup or any of the warm-up games leading into the tournament. Then the ball dropped in Brazil and they were content to sit back and let the other teams control and dictate the game and then cash in on one or two of the few opportunities they created or from a set piece. It takes a great deal of luck to win games in that manner. But they don’t have the horses for a tournament like the World Cup. Funny thing is if Wondolowski heads that home it would have worked again and they would have stole another game.

21. granadafan - Jul 2, 2014 at 7:09 PM

I always thought Wynalda was a pretty good coach as evident with his time in lower division leagues. However, he’s unproven on the big stage. As a player, yes. As a developer of talent, identifying talent, a recruiter of talent, as a coach against the big boys? No. His irrationaly attacks on Klinsmann are head scratchers and show that he’s clearly not capable of leading the USMNT.

• robtrodes - Jul 2, 2014 at 8:14 PM

As a player at his best, I don’t think Wynalda would have been good enough to make the current team. As a coach? Well, all of that let’s take it to ‘em American style that he’s advocating would have scored a whole lot more goals–for the other teams. For us, maybe one or two. Get serious. This guy wouldn’t have had a prayer of getting the USA out of last place in group G, let alone advancing. I hope nobody ever gives him a chance to prove it.

22. patriotsdefense - Jul 2, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Wynalda is a fool and his “un-American” comment is ridiculous. I hope Wynalda is flushed down the toilet.

23. ez0682 - Jul 2, 2014 at 9:53 PM

Who is wynalda lol I know who Kalimantan is. Enough said.

PST Extra: The Manchester derby