Jul 3, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT
The latest embarrassing headlines for FIFA have arrived during the 2014 World Cup, as soccer’s world governing body has been embroiled in yet another scandal.
On Thursday Brazilian police stated that a member of FIFA is the source of illegal World Cup ticket sales.
Police commissioner Fabio Barucke told reporters that “someone from FIFA” and “an intermediary from Match Hospitality”, FIFA’s ticket agency, controlled the thousands of tickets involved.
More details emerged later on Thursday, as Brazilian newspaper Folha stated that the investigation has been going on for over three months and that the scheme made over $1 million at every World Cup match.
FIFA has since responded to reports of its member being involved in the scheme and brushed it off as “rumors.”
While they issued the following statement to Folha.
“We have nothing to comment right now. Many rumors are circulating [about the involved of FiFA.] We are waiting for a meeting [with the police} to get details on the operations.”
According to the Police, they arrested 11 people on Tuesday accused of selling tickets that may have been obtained through a contact at world soccer’s governing body.
With FIFA’s name being dragged through the mud time and time again over issues including allegedly accepting bribes for World Cup bids and many other scandals, this is the last thing much-maligned President Sepp Blatter (pictured, right) would have wanted to come out during the so-far successful 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
More details to come on this story, as another scandal is never far off when it comes to FIFA.
- UEFA Champions League preview: Can PSG, Bayern come back from 3-1 down to Barcelona, Porto? 0
- MLS Team of the Week — Stars of Week 7 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Big climbers galore as momentum kicks in 1
- Premier League Playback: Manchester United prove they can challenge Chelsea for the title 2
- Sepp Blatter: Putin, Russia will host “best ever World Cup” in 2018 3
- Real Madrid’s Gareth Bale set to miss three weeks, Champions League clash vs. Atletico, with injury 1