Jul 4, 2014, 3:51 PM EDT
With France eliminated by Germany in the quarterfinals, his return to England is imminent, and his move to the Emirates will be a direct response to his French teammate Bacary Sagna‘s departure for Manchester City.
Arsenal’s policy not to extend anyone over the 30-year-old mark shoved 31-year-old Sagna out of his starting right-back role.
28-year-old Debuchy is in Arsene Wenger’s sights, with reports of a fee anywhere between $13.7 million and $19 million. Wenger is working for French TV as a World Cup analyst on-site in Brazil.
Debuchy only just arrived at Newcastle, having spent over nine years at Ligue 1 side Lille before making the January switch to St. James Park in January of 2013 for approximately $9 million.
Wenger has Carl Jenkinson and Hector Bellerin at the right-back position, but reports say he’s worried about their lack of experience.
Speculation has exploded in the last 24 hours after Debuchy removed all mention of Newcastle in his Twitter profile.
Debuchy’s Newcastle contract runs through the summer of 2018.
Things appear to be making strides:
- PST’s MLS Rookie of the Year: Shipp, Hagglund, Akindele or Birnbaum? 0
- It’s official: World No. 3 Colombia to face USMNT in London on Nov. 14 0
- VIDEO: Top 10 goals of the MLS season (heading into the final weekend) 2
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Madrid clubs, Borussia Dortmund roll 0
- Three things we learned as Real Madrid rout Liverpool 0
- Arsenal’s Podolski, Gibbs break Belgian hearts in left-for-late win 0