Jul 4, 2014, 3:51 PM EDT
With France eliminated by Germany in the quarterfinals, his return to England is imminent, and his move to the Emirates will be a direct response to his French teammate Bacary Sagna‘s departure for Manchester City.
Arsenal’s policy not to extend anyone over the 30-year-old mark shoved 31-year-old Sagna out of his starting right-back role.
28-year-old Debuchy is in Arsene Wenger’s sights, with reports of a fee anywhere between $13.7 million and $19 million. Wenger is working for French TV as a World Cup analyst on-site in Brazil.
Debuchy only just arrived at Newcastle, having spent over nine years at Ligue 1 side Lille before making the January switch to St. James Park in January of 2013 for approximately $9 million.
Wenger has Carl Jenkinson and Hector Bellerin at the right-back position, but reports say he’s worried about their lack of experience.
Speculation has exploded in the last 24 hours after Debuchy removed all mention of Newcastle in his Twitter profile.
Debuchy’s Newcastle contract runs through the summer of 2018.
Things appear to be making strides:
- Premier League Sunday preview: Man United looking for revenge vs. Swansea City 1
- Premier League roundup: Chelsea, Liverpool suffer stunning home defeats 0
- Tim Howard ready for USMNT return, as heroics rescue Everton 1
- Three things we learned from Tottenham Hotspur vs. Everton 2
- Liverpool 0-3 West Ham United: Hammers stun Reds at Anfield in fiery encounter 2
- Chelsea 1-2 Crystal Palace: Blues stunned at home by Eagles 5