Jul 4, 2014, 9:18 PM EDT
The goals have come pouring in early, as both teams have netted once inside the opening 15 minutes.
Early indications show it will be a much closer affair than the 4-0 demolition the Red Bulls laid on the Dynamo earlier this season, with Bradley Wright-Phillips bagging a hat-trick.
Wright-Phillips already has one in this match as well, a 13th minute strike to level things up after Houston’s goal in under a minute.
Houston’s early score equals their total tally from the previous five meetings with New York.
The teams are just two points apart in the Eastern Conference standings, and a win would jump Houston over the Red Bulls into fifth position. A New York win would put the Red Bulls up into fourth place above Toronto.
WATCH LIVE: Houston vs. New York on NBC Sports Live Extra
Houston – Hall; Sarkodie, Brunner, Cochran, Creavalle; Driver, Clark, García, Davis; Barnes, Bruin.
New York – Robles; Oyongo, Miazga, Olave, Duvall; Alexander, Cahill, Sekagya, Sam; Henry, Wright-Phillips.
- MLS Weekend Preview: Derbies close weekend kicking off off at Sporting Park 0
- Lessons from 2010 say U.S. squad as much about opportunity, circumstances as youth 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Familiar faces jostle for the top spot – Week 1 2
- U.S. roster for Czech Republic: Quick look at some of the newer names 4
- Plenty of surprises in US national team roster for Czech Republic friendly 2
- Analysis: Arsenal, Manchester City handed tough Champions League draw 1