Jul 4, 2014, 10:58 PM EDT
Two teams lower in the standings than they’d hoped look to pick up a vital three points in the long climb back up the table.
The LA Galaxy and Portland Timbers both played to a dramatic 1-1 draw last time out, with both teams scoring in stoppage time to secure a point.
However, this time around, a point isn’t exactly enough, as they do battle live on NBCSN or live online at NBC Sports Live Extra.
With both teams level on 20 points, good enough for 6th and 7th in the Western Conference, there’s plenty of work to do to move up the table.
Three points today would be massive, putting either side level with FC Dallas for fourth place.
The big guns start for both sides, as Landon Donovan and Robbie Keane both start for the Galaxy. Despite the club’s season-long inconsistencies, Donovan’s come on strong recently, scoring three goals in his last two matches. Keane has been one of the more consistent parts of the Galaxy’s season, with seven goals, including two in their last three matches.
Portland are still trying to recover from the draw-fest earlier in the year, and they were shut out last time out for the first time in a while in a 1-0 loss to Sporting KC. They conceded the opener for the 12th time in 17 matches.
LA Galaxy – Penedo; Gargan, DLG, Meyer, Rogers; Ishizaki, Sarvas, Juninho, Donovan; Keane, Zardes.
Portland Timbers – Ricketts, Harrington, O’Rourke, McKenzie, Villafaña, Chara, Fernández, Johnson, Valeri, Adi, Nagbe.
- Tim Howard joins NBC Sports’ Premier League broadcast team on multi-year deal 6
- VIDEO: US stars fight – Omar Gonzalez vs. Clint Dempsey, DeAndre Yedlin 3
- Manchester United’s Luke Shaw trains on his own, told he’s “not fit enough” 1
- MLS Snapshot: Seattle Sounders 0-3 LA Galaxy 1
- Premier, Champions League quotas leave Mourinho desperate to sell Torres 4
- Van Gaal, Manchester United ready to move on from Fellaini, Kagawa 0