Jul 5, 2014, 8:35 AM EST
Here’s a bit of gossip that you might want to take with a rather large grain of salt: English media outlet Metro is reporting that Liverpool are prepared to extend an invite to DeAndre Yedlin for a preseason trial.
Metro states that the Reds have been tracking the fullback since he impressed at the U20s World Cup in Turkey, and that they’ve only increased their interest since his dazzling displays as a super-sub for the USMNT in Brazil.
Nothing to suggest you should be skeptical just yet. Yedlin is impressive, and many an eye were drawn to him at the 2014 World Cup. He provided a great cross that led to the second US goal against Portugal, and drew accolades when an injury to Fabian Johnson forced him to come on early in the crucial Round of 16 clash with Belgium. It’s natural that teams worldwide would have interest in a young player of Yedlin’s caliber.
And when you realize Liverpool are still playing, and paying, Glen Johnson, their interest makes even more sense.
The trouble here is that Metro are citing “reports from America” (no further link given) as evidence that the Reds are set to extend a trial to Yedlin. While there are now plenty of links popping up with the news that Yedlin is set for this trial, these “reports from America” must be buried deep in Google’s search engine.
What say you, fans? Have you seen legitimate reports that Liverpool want the Seattle Sounders’ man? Or are you also skeptical of this rumor? Is it just another consequence of the convergence of a fantastic World Cup performance and the start of the Silly Season?
- West Ham United 1-3 Crystal Palace: Eagles win fiery London derby 1
- Watch Live: Manchester United vs. Sunderland (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- WATCH: Premier League live online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 27 0
- Odell Beckham Jr. appears on TV show in England, reveals former dream was to be a pro soccer player 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Everton, Man United, Man City, Stoke 0
- Watching a UEFA Champions League game with US star Geoff Cameron 1