Jul 5, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Thorgan Hazard, younger brother of Chelsea star Eden, will spend the 2014-2015 on loan with Bundesliga side Borussia Mönchengladbach.
The 21-year-old signed for Chelsea from French side Lens in 2012, shortly after the Premier League club completed the signing of Eden from Lille. The younger Hazard has yet to play for the Blues, however. He’s spent the past two seasons on loan with Belgian side Zulte Waregem, where he was voted player of the year in 2013.
Last season, Thorgan scored 14 goals in 39 league appearances with Zulte. He also put in two more in Europa League action.
He’ll have the chance to experience Europe again with his new side. While Gladbach made a decent run at finishing in Germany’s top four last year, a stuttering start to the second half of the Bundesliga season saw them finish 6th, putting them into Europa League. They’ll be hoping to improve on that run this year and are strengthening their side in anticipation of clinching Champions League play for 2015-2016.
Gladbach sporting director Max Eberl said, “Thorgan is a promising talent. He can play across several positions in attack and we’re happy that he’s decided to take the next step in his career at Borussia.”
- MLS Snapshot: Seattle Sounders 0-3 LA Galaxy 0
- Premier, Champions League quotas leave Mourinho desperate to sell Torres 0
- Van Gaal, Manchester United ready to move on from Fellaini, Kagawa 0
- Radamel Falcao on track to return at weekend’s Emirates Cup 0
- PST’s Major League Soccer Player of the Week: Portland’s Diego Valeri 0
- The great Southampton exodus continues. Why is this happening? 6