Jul 5, 2014, 11:47 AM EST
Thorgan Hazard, younger brother of Chelsea star Eden, will spend the 2014-2015 on loan with Bundesliga side Borussia Mönchengladbach.
The 21-year-old signed for Chelsea from French side Lens in 2012, shortly after the Premier League club completed the signing of Eden from Lille. The younger Hazard has yet to play for the Blues, however. He’s spent the past two seasons on loan with Belgian side Zulte Waregem, where he was voted player of the year in 2013.
Last season, Thorgan scored 14 goals in 39 league appearances with Zulte. He also put in two more in Europa League action.
He’ll have the chance to experience Europe again with his new side. While Gladbach made a decent run at finishing in Germany’s top four last year, a stuttering start to the second half of the Bundesliga season saw them finish 6th, putting them into Europa League. They’ll be hoping to improve on that run this year and are strengthening their side in anticipation of clinching Champions League play for 2015-2016.
Gladbach sporting director Max Eberl said, “Thorgan is a promising talent. He can play across several positions in attack and we’re happy that he’s decided to take the next step in his career at Borussia.”
- Men in Blazers podcast: Talking FA Cup upsets with guests Spencer Lanning, Josh Scobee 0
- Diego Costa could get retrospective ban, miss Chelsea’s clash vs. Manchester City 1
- Gareth Bale dismisses Manchester United speculation, happy at Real Madrid 3
- In less than five months, Diego Costa has become Premier League villain No. 1 4
- Chelsea 1-0 Liverpool: Ivanovic ensures Blues trip to Cup final after testy second leg 0
- New York, Montreal complete huge trade; Kljestan free to join Red Bulls 7