American Tim Ream signs extension with Bolton Wanderers

Jul 6, 2014, 9:45 PM EST

Ream Getty Images

26-year-old Tim Ream will be continuing his career in the English Championship after signing a three-year extension with Bolton Wanderers, the club confirmed.

The St. Louis-born defender successfully secured a work permit and will be under Bolton control until the summer of 2017.

“I’m really pleased to have extended my deal here,” Ream told Bolton’s official site. “I certainly feel like I’ve developed as a player during my time over here and with my family we’re settled in the local area.”

Ream earned both the team’s and fans’ Player of the Year awards last year, making 45 appearances across all competitions.

Overall, Ream has 76 appearances with the team after signing from New York Red Bulls in 2012.  He has eight USMNT caps, most recently in last year’s friendly against Bosnia-Herzegovina.

1. drewvt6 - Jul 7, 2014 at 1:50 AM

How does someone like him get a work permit?

• mdac1012 - Jul 7, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Yeah, there doesn’t really seem to be a rhyme or reason to why these things are handed out sometimes. When he got the original work permit he was very much in the National Team picture. My guess is since he has been in England for a few years, played well and hasn’t been in trouble, securing further work permits are much easier.

Brad Friedel hasn’t been in the National Team picture for almost a decade and is a back up player but I guess he keeps getting work permits also.

The only other route is the Jay Demerit route of securing a EU work permit based on a parent or grandparent having been born in a EU country.

• bullettoothtony81 - Jul 7, 2014 at 9:57 AM

When he signed he was a recent national team call-up. Must be getting it renewed isn’t difficult, just securing it in the first place is.

• konmtu - Jul 7, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Probably by playing in the Championship.

• bellerophon30 - Jul 7, 2014 at 4:16 PM

I seem to remember it being a bit controversial at the time, that Ream got his work permit when he clearly didn’t meet the nominal standard (75% of his national team’s games over a two year period). But I think once you have it, it’s hard to lose it unless you have off the pitch problems. That’s how Friedel has kept his, though you have to wonder if he (and perhaps Howard) has taken citizenship on the sly, since he’s been there so long.

Week 17: PL Saturday recap