Jul 6, 2014, 12:45 PM EST
Ashley Cole has received interest from multiple clubs, says his agent, but looks set to move abroad.
The 33-year-old was released by Chelsea in July and is now a free agent. He spent eight seasons with the Blues after moving from Arsenal, where he came through the youth system. He was also left behind by England for the World Cup, with Roy Hodgson preferring younger legs to make the trip to Brazil.
Being released by the club with which he has such a long history most likely took a toll – Cole was seen crying as he waved goodbye to Chelsea fans after his final home game at Stamford Bridge. Being excluded from the Three Lions likely didn’t help his emotional state. Does Cole simply want a change of scenery?
If so, he can do worse than going to Rome. It’s rumored that Roma are first in line for the fullback’s services, and reports suggest that he’s soon to head to Italy for meetings with the club’s representatives.
The giallorossi have just made their first signing – midfielder Salih Ucan – but are certainly keen to continue making their presence felt in the transfer market – we’ve already had news today about a possible deal to bring in DeAndre Yedlin. But the youngster likely wouldn’t leave the Seattle Sounders until next summer, which means Roma still need to strengthen.
They were able to secure second in Serie A last season by building a strong team, but they had no European commitments. Competing for the title took its toll on the rather small squad, as evidenced by a few stretches in which Roma lapsed. As they will be in the Champions League this season, adding experienced players will allow for more squad rotation by Rudi Garcia, enabling them to still make a challenge for the scudetto.
So yes, the move certainly makes sense for Roma. But will they be able to persuade Cole?
- PHOTOS: LA Galaxy, Real Salt Lake, Montreal Impact, Chicago Fire unveil new 2015 jerseys 1
- WATCH: Midweek Premier League TV schedule – Week 28 0
- 2015 MLS predictions: Cup winners? MVP? Lampard or Gerrard? Kaka or Giovinco? 2
- MLS Atlanta makes shrewd hire, bringing in Carlos Bocanegra as technical director 0
- BBC report: Sunderland’s Adam Johnson arrested on suspicion of sex with a 15-year-old girl 4
- Premier League Playback: Why Manchester City are throwing away the title 0