Jul 6, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
FIFA has confirmed that Brazil are appealing Thiago Silva’s automatic suspension, picked up for his second yellow card of the tournament. If successful, the defender will then be available to face Germany in the semi-finals on Tuesday.
Thiago was shown the yellow card in Brazil’s firey clash with Colombia on Friday – though not, perhaps surprisingly, for a harsh challenge on the likes of Juan Cuadrado or James Rodríguez. The referee pulled the card for Thiago’s block on David Ospina, which occurred when the Colombia goalkeeper was attempting to take a kick.
It is unlikely the appeal will be successful, however. Appeals against accumulated yellow cards are typically not permitted; it is only red cards that may be overturned.
Then there’s the question of whether, should Thiago’s suspension be overturned, it will appear as though FIFA is favoring the hosts. The officiating in Brazil’s opening game against Croatia came under heavy scrutiny, particularly when Brazil were awarded what looked to be a rather soft penalty. On Friday, when it looked as though Brazil were targeting specific Colombia players with heavy fouls, yet not being booked for their troubles, the thought of bias crossed many minds once more.
With the start of the semi-final, all existing yellow cards are wiped clean. In other words, players from teams that progress to the final will only miss out on the side’s last game if they manage to get themselves sent off.
This future clean slate provides little comfort to Brazil, however, who will almost certainly be without their captain for the Germany clash.
- WATCH: NBC Sports’ Premier League TV schedule – Week 4 0
- Premier League Preview: Newcastle United vs. Arsenal 0
- Kevin de Bruyne deal moves closer after “astonishing” offer to join Manchester City 0
- CONCACAF aims for 50-50 crowd split for USA vs. Mexico clash at Rose Bowl 8
- Top 5 Premier League storylines ahead of Week 4: Transfer deadline day looms 2
- Analyzing UEFA Champions League group stage draw for four Premier League teams 0