Jul 6, 2014, 6:57 AM EDT
Dejan Lovren gave a revealing interview to Croatian sports outlet Sportske Novosti, in which he criticized Southampton’s lack of ambition, stated that the club had fallen apart and discussed how he longs for a transfer to Liverpool.
Last week, Southampton rejected a £20m (~$34m) offer for the defender. With Luke Shaw having departed to Manchester United, and Adam Lallana and Rickie Lambert already having joined Liverpool, new Saints boss Ronald Koeman is reluctant to let other key players leave before having replacements lined up.
Liverpool’s rejected bid has left Lovren frustrated:
Liverpool sent a 20 million offer and they [Southampton] paid nine million for me, so they would’ve earned twice the amount. At this point, I don’t know what I’ll do and I don’t like it. It was unbelievable that a few days ago I had an offer of 20 million pounds. It was in the morning and by the afternoon the club had said I was not for sale. Frankly, my head is already at Liverpool.
One of the problems is that Lovren no longer knows where to address his complaints. When he transferred from French side Lyon last season, chairman Nicola Cortese and coach Mauricio Pochettino assured the Croatia international that the club had great ambitions, that they were bringing in more quality players and were aiming for a spot in the Europa League.
Southampton ultimately finished 8th, 13 points outside of the European positions. Cortese resigned last January. Pochettino is now the Tottenham manager. Shaw, Lallana and Lambert are gone, with no guarantees others will not follow.
Those issues, Lovren says, indicated that Southampton “had fallen apart.”
“I’d gladly stay in Southampton if the club had any ambitions, if they kept the key players,” he said. “[If that had happened] not even the Liverpool bid would have dissuaded me.”
It’s rumored Southampton are holding out for an increased bid of £25m (~$43m). Should Liverpool fail to up their offer, it sounds like Dejan Lovren is going to be one unhappy Saint.
- US Open Cup draw: Sounders-Timbers, NYCFC-NY Cosmos highlight possible 4th-round clashes 0
- Agent: Sterling wouldn’t sign new Liverpool deal, even for $1.4 million a week 6
- Leicester, QPR, Burnley players earn England call-ups for June matches 2
- US Open Cup second round wrap: Several USL sides clipped by “minnows” 1
- Mats Hummels rejects Manchester United move, will stay at Dortmund 5
- Wayne Rooney on Manchester United’s season: We have met our main goals 1