Freddy Adu headed for trial at AZ Alkmaar

Jul 6, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT

Adu Getty Images

Still looking for a successful club spell abroad, former US super-prospect Freddy Adu will have a trial at Dutch club AZ Alkmaar.

The club, current employers of Aron Johannsson and formerly Jozy Altidore, finished eighth in the Eredivisie last season.

Adu burst onto the scene with DC United at just 14 years old, but fizzled out since, spending time with eight different clubs since.

He signed with Benfica in 2007, but made just 11 appearances with the Portuguese La Liga club, instead loaned out to France’s Monaco, Portugal’s Beleneses, Greece’s Aris, and Turkey’s Cayukr Rizespor.

Most recently, Adu was given a trial by former USMNT head coach Bob Bradley at Norwegian club Stabaek a few weeks ago, but they opted not to sign the 25-year-old.

Adu was passed over by Blackpool after a three-week trial in February with the English second-division club.  Manager Barry Ferguson said he was “more than happy with what I’ve got.”

He was released from Brazil’s SC Bahia back in November, with director of football calling Adu “very professional” but saying there were “technical deficiencies” with Adu’s game. Since then, he’s been unemployed.

1. footballer4ever - Jul 6, 2014 at 4:33 PM

“technical deficiencies”= he’s got no footalling talent. Let’s hope he saved enough $$$ or at least took advantage of his time to have a backup plan outside of football.

2. josephurban - Jul 6, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Good example of a young kid who had great potential. Was used by the MLS and pushed into the big time as a box office draw long before he had time to develop real talent. Bad management decisionmaking.I don’t blame him, after all, he was just a kid at the time. But the adults in his life let him down.

• babatundew - Jul 6, 2014 at 8:41 PM

He wasn’t young. His real age was probably 24 when he was reportedly 14. Look at pics of him then and look at pics of him now. I’m Nigerian American and I know a lot of West African players are known for lying about their age when they move abroad.

• mikeevergreen - Jul 7, 2014 at 10:48 AM

I get your point but you’re wrong on this one. Freddy Adu has been in the US since he was 8. This one was 14 when he signed with DC alright.

3. braxtonrob - Jul 6, 2014 at 8:04 PM

If you’re small, then you HAVE to be fast … and he just never got all THAT fast.

Too bad, because he was a superb player with off-the-scale potential.

4. babatundew - Jul 6, 2014 at 8:43 PM

The reason Freddy Adu has been on the decline since, is because he is probably 10 years older than he says he is. Look at pics of him when he was “14 years old” and look at pics of him now. I’m Nigerian American and I know a lot of West African players are known for lying about their age when they move abroad.

5. rafibomb10 - Jul 7, 2014 at 8:33 AM

I have never really liked Freddy’s attitude, but once upon a time he was a great prospect. The MLS is at fault for his demise, as well as his guardians. No 14 year old should ever be allowed to compete at the professional level, no other league in the country can you do that because you are not physically or mentally developed yet.

However, I have been saying this for YEARS now, if Freddy Adu wants to hit the scene again as an adequate player at the professional level, he needs to be converted into a Left Back. He is left footed, he is adequately fast enough, he is plenty capable of attacking forward. We have most recently seen the conversion of former winger Demarcus Beasley work out, quite well I should add, so there is the possibility. I would like to see him tried at Left Back with ANY club who is willing to give him a trial. If it doesn’t work out, what are you losing? Nothing…

Part of me says he just doesn’t have the attitude or work rate for that role however.

• bullettoothtony81 - Jul 7, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Sounds like a nightmare if you ask me… I know we haven’t seen the guy play in what seems like several years (hasn’t been that long in reality)… but defensive play never stood out as a strength to me, nor tackling ability. I agree there’s a possibility, but I just don’t think he has DMB’s attitude, that of one being happy to just be considered for a role and willing to give 100% to it. When they shifted him to the wing in DC, and Philly, he turned into a diva and didn’t put forth the effort… now asking him to play defense? I dunno man.

I always thought he’d excel in a Robinho-style second-striker role… but I’ve been wrong, or he’s gotten the hook too quickly. Either way, it doesn’t look so promising for him, unless the Cosmos need another former big-name player, like Danny Szetela.

• rafibomb10 - Jul 7, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Yeah I don’t disagree with anything you said. My only point is that if he wants to have a shot at making another team it is not going to be in a position of skill. If he really wants to play then it has to be with his desire to play, which would include having the work rate of a left back.

And he is a diva 100%, but part of me wants to say that it is not all his fault. The MLS is 90% at fault for marketing a 14 year old as the face of its league. My homie Tyrion Lannister said “Its hard to put a leash on a dog after you put a crown on its head.”

And being completely honest, with the world cup fresh in my mind, looking forward to 2018 who does anyone see as our next left back? DMB will be 36. Yedlin is a right back. Johnson proved his best spot is right back. I’m scouring the waver wire like week 14 of my fantasy football league for a left footed player, any left footed player, who can play that role in 2018. Keep an eye out for Joe Gyau also (I only say that because he is in fact left footed).

6. granadafan - Jul 7, 2014 at 12:25 PM

From all accounts, he is a very lazy player who never really put the time in to work hard to improve his game technically. Everyone’s talented, but the hardest workers win out.

7. wwsiralexd - Jul 7, 2014 at 2:05 PM

I wish he’d started out his career in the Eredivisie. Coulda. Shoulda.

8. chocopoppy - Jul 7, 2014 at 3:38 PM

As a very superficial follower of soccer, can someone direct me to a good resource for explanations on the various positions and how they interact on the field? I’m aware of terms — midfielder, left back, striker, but other than knowing the general part of the field they are on, I’m not sure what their role is on the field.

Week 4: Saturday recap