Jul 6, 2014, 3:25 PM EDT
Hakan Calhanoglu’s roller coaster last few months have ended in his move to Bayer Leverkusen.
Leverkusen’s new number-10 became their record transfer, costing nearly $20 million.
But his former boss at Hamburg is fuming.
Calhanoglu was placed on four-week sick leave in early June, but the two parties appear to have had a different understanding of the situation.
The 20-year-old star said at the end of May that he wished to leave Hamburg for Leverkusen in order to get a shot at playing in European play. “I definitely want to leave Hamburg, my outlook for the coming season I can see, crystal clear, being at Bayer Leverkusen,” he said at the time.
That angered Hamburg fans beyond repair, and he received numerous threats via social media, and feared for his health.
At the suggestion of a psychologist, Calhanoglu got a sick note to miss four weeks of training training, citing health issues.
However, once the transfer went through, the club felt duped.
“The fact that he was suddenly healthy again on the day of his transfer says it all,” Hamburg sporting director Oliver Kreuzer told Bild. “We thought he had real health problems, so we gave him time. It would appear he lied.”
Bayer Leverkusen, who finished fourth in the German Bundesliga last year, have a different point of view.
“We are very pleased that this transfer has finally gone through after some intense but always fair negotiations with Hamburg,” said Leverkusen’s general manager Michael Schade. “Calhanoglu was the player we really wanted and we’ve got him. His early and decisive declaration of intent to come to Leverkusen encouraged us never to give up trying to sign him, despite some difficult conditions at times.”
Calhanoglu signed a five-year contract with Leverkusen, and has already been unveiled despite still needing to complete a medical. He scored 11 goals for Hamburg last season in 32 Bundesliga appearances.
- FIFA ethics committee bans 11 current, former officials from all football-related activities 3
- UEFA calls for postponement of FIFA presidential election, threatens to boycott congress 5
- FIFA president Sepp Blatter releases first statement since overnight arrests 11
- Three things we learned from the US Department of Justice news conference on the FIFA investigation 6
- FIFA presidential elections will go on Friday despite arrests 6
- FBI, US Department of Justice issues damning statement on FIFA, details corruption investigation 8