Jul 6, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT
With a bright performance in the World Cup from France’s bite-size winger Mathieu Valbuena, links are beginning to trickle in with clubs interested in signing him.
With Olympique Marseille since 2006, the 29-year-old was stellar on the wing and up front as Les Bleus trounced World Cup Group E and making the quarterfinals before running into the German buzzsaw.
Valbuena played in four of France’s five matches, scoring a goal and assisting another while creating 11 chances, according to Squawka statistics.
The most interested in Valbuena seem to be La Liga’s Valencia, who are rumored to be lining up a $6 million move, according to French paper L’Equipe.
A potential teammate at Valencia could be Sofiane Fegoulhi, who also impressed heavily in Brazil and would give the Spanish club a dangerous wing pair.
Also interested appear to be Premier League club West Ham. According to the Daily Mail, Valbuena’s agent Jean-Pierre Bernes said to French radio, “[Mathieu] has a contract with Marseille and they are not a small club, they are a big club in France. But it is true that given his performances, if there is an opportunity with a club, it is something we will examine. Nothing is set, there is no destination fixed, and there is contact with different clubs in different European leagues.”
The Daily Mail report describes Valbuena as “keen” on a move to the Premier League, and there are other reports mentioning seemingly weaker links to Arsenal and Liverpool.
- LIVE ON NBC: Scoreless half has Seattle 45 mins from Supporters Shield 0
- Premier League roundup: Arsenal, Saints win, Manchester City stunned (video) 0
- Real Madrid 3-1 Barcelona: Real fight back to seal El Clasico victory 2
- Sunderland 0-2 Arsenal: Sanchez seals win after horrendous defending 0
- VIDEO: Russell Brand crashes Sam Allardyce’s presser with a huge kiss 2
- West Ham United 2-1 Manchester City: Hammers stun reigning champs 1