Jul 6, 2014, 6:04 PM EDT
But headlines from the match went elsewhere.
KC striker Dom Dwyer burgled the ball from defender Patrick Ianna in the 33rd minute and scored, and his celebration is legendary.
The 23-year-old snatched a photographer’s phone and proceeded to take a selfie with teammate Soony Saad and fans in the front row. Sporting KC put it on their Twitter account:
It was pretty clearly something Dwyer had preplanned, as the photographer had a cell phone ready and at his disposal.
The goal is his 12th of the year, leading Sporting KC and one behind Bradley Wright-Phillips for the MLS lead. The celebration did earn him a yellow card from the
no fun police referee.
It prompted some to think about what this yellow card means for future celebrations:
- Copa America Final preview: Argentina looks for first title since 1993 against hosts Chile 0
- Transfer Rumor Roundup: KPB to Orlando City, Liverpool in for Brazilian teen 2
- Klinsmann on USMNT’s win over Guatemala: “I’m not happy with that performance” 2
- 2011 Women’s World Cup final loss still burns in Abby Wambach’s memory 1
- USMNT player ratings: How Klinsmann’s men fared against Guatemala 5
- USA 4-0 Guatemala: USMNT cruises into Gold Cup with win in Nashville 0