Jul 6, 2014, 6:04 PM EDT
But headlines from the match went elsewhere.
KC striker Dom Dwyer burgled the ball from defender Patrick Ianna in the 33rd minute and scored, and his celebration is legendary.
The 23-year-old snatched a photographer’s phone and proceeded to take a selfie with teammate Soony Saad and fans in the front row. Sporting KC put it on their Twitter account:
It was pretty clearly something Dwyer had preplanned, as the photographer had a cell phone ready and at his disposal.
The goal is his 12th of the year, leading Sporting KC and one behind Bradley Wright-Phillips for the MLS lead. The celebration did earn him a yellow card from the
no fun police referee.
It prompted some to think about what this yellow card means for future celebrations:
- PST Extra: Who are the Premier League’s top offseason acquisitions so far? (video) 0
- Premier League defenders: Who’s in our Top Five? And how to choose just five? 5
- Maps, rivals, stadiums: Location of all 20 Premier League teams for 2015-16 season 4
- On his way out of PSG, should Arsenal or Manchester United sign Zlatan Ibrahimovic? 1
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Rose to Chelsea, Traore to Liverpool 1
- AZ Alkmaar agree to sell USMNT forward Aron Johannsson to Werder Bremen 3