Jul 6, 2014, 6:04 PM EDT
But headlines from the match went elsewhere.
KC striker Dom Dwyer burgled the ball from defender Patrick Ianna in the 33rd minute and scored, and his celebration is legendary.
The 23-year-old snatched a photographer’s phone and proceeded to take a selfie with teammate Soony Saad and fans in the front row. Sporting KC put it on their Twitter account:
It was pretty clearly something Dwyer had preplanned, as the photographer had a cell phone ready and at his disposal.
The goal is his 12th of the year, leading Sporting KC and one behind Bradley Wright-Phillips for the MLS lead. The celebration did earn him a yellow card from the
no fun police referee.
It prompted some to think about what this yellow card means for future celebrations:
- How will the USMNT line up against Switzerland? 1
- British exec says England could look towards 2030 World Cup bid 0
- MLS Snapshot: Real Salt Lake 2-1 Toronto FC 2
- EURO 2016 qualifying roundup: Germany back on track; Portugal beat Serbia, go top 0
- Report: Aston Villa owner Randy Lerner set to sell team to UK group 1
- MLS roundup: Whitecaps, D.C. United win late ones; FCD, Sounders in disappointing draw 1