Jul 6, 2014, 6:04 PM EDT
But headlines from the match went elsewhere.
KC striker Dom Dwyer burgled the ball from defender Patrick Ianna in the 33rd minute and scored, and his celebration is legendary.
The 23-year-old snatched a photographer’s phone and proceeded to take a selfie with teammate Soony Saad and fans in the front row. Sporting KC put it on their Twitter account:
It was pretty clearly something Dwyer had preplanned, as the photographer had a cell phone ready and at his disposal.
The goal is his 12th of the year, leading Sporting KC and one behind Bradley Wright-Phillips for the MLS lead. The celebration did earn him a yellow card from the
no fun police referee.
It prompted some to think about what this yellow card means for future celebrations:
- WATCH: NBC Sports’ Premier League TV schedule – Week 4 0
- Premier League Preview: Newcastle United vs. Arsenal 0
- Kevin de Bruyne deal moves closer after “astonishing” offer to join Manchester City 0
- CONCACAF aims for 50-50 crowd split for USA vs. Mexico clash at Rose Bowl 8
- Top 5 Premier League storylines ahead of Week 4: Transfer deadline day looms 2
- Analyzing UEFA Champions League group stage draw for four Premier League teams 0