Jul 6, 2014, 6:04 PM EDT
But headlines from the match went elsewhere.
KC striker Dom Dwyer burgled the ball from defender Patrick Ianna in the 33rd minute and scored, and his celebration is legendary.
The 23-year-old snatched a photographer’s phone and proceeded to take a selfie with teammate Soony Saad and fans in the front row. Sporting KC put it on their Twitter account:
It was pretty clearly something Dwyer had preplanned, as the photographer had a cell phone ready and at his disposal.
The goal is his 12th of the year, leading Sporting KC and one behind Bradley Wright-Phillips for the MLS lead. The celebration did earn him a yellow card from the
no fun police referee.
It prompted some to think about what this yellow card means for future celebrations:
- Mourinho rips Top 4 rivals at awards dinner; Takes extra shot at Wenger’s Arsenal 0
- Premier League Grades: How did each team fare in 2014-15? 5
- Premier League Playback: Looking back at a memorable 2014-15 season 0
- Didier Drogba open to Major League Soccer move after leaving Chelsea 8
- Real Madrid president asked what’s wrong with Carlo Ancelotti: “I don’t know” 2
- In a career full of blunders, firing Carlo Ancelotti is Florentino Perez’s worst mistake yet 7