Jul 7, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
The rising star of Costa Rican striker Joel Campbell could help Arsenal net Mathieu Debuchy from Newcastle United.
Debuchy is reportedly undergoing a medical at the Emirates, and is set to mint the Magpies about $13.5 million. That would be a cool $4 million profit for Newcastle.
But it may not be all about money for the Magpies, who are desperate for offense. In the past two years, the Magpies have sold Demba Ba and Andy Carroll without finding suitable permanent replacements. With Loic Remy returning to QPR from a loan stint at St. James Park and Shola Ameobi skipping town, Newcastle needs a striker in addition to 20-year-old Tenerife transfer Ayoze Perez.
Sources tell The Chronicle’s Lee Ryder that Campbell could be that man.
Campbell, 22, has been at Arsenal since 2011 but made loan stints at Lorient, Real Betis and Olympiakos, scoring 13 goals in 87 appearances. He was a big part of the danger brought by Los Ticos this World Cup, scoring against Uruguay, and has netted against Spain, the United States and Paraguay as part of his 10 international goals.
From The Chronicle:
The 22-year-old has also interested West Ham, Everton and Southampton this summer. The Gunners may also involve including Carl Jenkinson in the deal but it remains to be seen whether Newcastle demand a cash only deal.
Debuchy is now on holiday after the World Cup but there is likely to be progress on the deal this week.
Jenkinson could help Newcastle, too, but Campbell would be a coup for the stingy-spending Northeast club. Losing Debuchy will be a shot to the gut, but the Magpies have been linked with other options in the back including Feyenoord man Daryl Janmaat, 24.
- PST Extra: Who are the Premier League’s top offseason acquisitions so far? (video) 0
- Premier League defenders: Who’s in our Top Five? And how to choose just five? 5
- Maps, rivals, stadiums: Location of all 20 Premier League teams for 2015-16 season 4
- On his way out of PSG, should Arsenal or Manchester United sign Zlatan Ibrahimovic? 1
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Rose to Chelsea, Traore to Liverpool 1
- AZ Alkmaar agree to sell USMNT forward Aron Johannsson to Werder Bremen 3