Skip to content

Oscar Tabarez claims Luis Suarez’s move to Barcelona arranged last November

Jul 7, 2014, 8:50 AM EDT

Liverpool v Olympiacos - Steven Gerrard Testimonial Getty Images

It seems as though Luis Suarez‘s expected switch to Barcelona isn’t quite as spur of the moment as we thought, that’s if you believe these comments from Uruguayan national team coach Oscar Tabarez.

The Liverpool forward, who is expected to seal a $137 million move to Barca in the coming days, is currently banned for four months for biting Italian defender Giorgio Chiellini at the World Cup. It was Suarez’s third biting incident of his career and after being supported by Liverpool through plenty of other trials and tribulations on and off the field, it seems as though the Anfield club have finally got tired of Suarez’s antics and decided to sell up.

However there is some confusion surrounding this story, as the source has since backtracked and denied that Tabarez made these remarks.

[ RELATED: Suarez to Barca for $137 million ]

Tabarez was quoted on Uruguayan radio station Sport 890 as saying that the 27-year old’s move to Barcelona was arranged back in November.

Wait… what!?

“Luis had told me about the Barcelona interest in November last year a few days before the Jordan match,” Tabarez said. “At that time the talks between Liverpool and Barcelona were very good and an agreement was arranged back then.”

So, the man who scored 31 goals for Liverpool in the Premier League and was in tears when they came up just short of winning the title late in the season, he already knew he would be a Barcelona player mid-way through the season?

If this is the case, the Liverpool directors and management staff have a lot to answer for after many applauded their hard line approach towards Suarez’s wishes to leave Anfield last season, which were then rebuffed. Last summer Suarez fought tooth and nail (no pun intended) to bag a move away from Liverpool but American owner John W. Henry held firm and Suarez remained at the Merseyside outfit despite throwing a tantrum. He then went on to win just about every Player of the Year award going, was the top scorer in the PL and many congratulated Liverpool for not only making Suarez stay, but for him signing a new long-term deal during the season.

Now, given Tabarez’s comments, all that seems like a smokescreen to detract people from knowing that a move to Barcelona was already lined up. However with question marks surrounding the validity of the translation and if Tabarez ever actually said this, we will wait and see what Liverpool have to say.

Given his latest actions and the ban he received, it did seem as though Liverpool were cashing in on Suarez at an opportune time and ousting their star man due to his disciplinary issues. Now, it has emerged that this was the plan all along.

I wonder what Liverpool’s fans make of all this…

  1. unclemosesgreen - Jul 7, 2014 at 8:53 AM

    I’m a fan. I don’t give a crap. I just think it’s fun to have a look inside and see how the sausage is made. It’s not for the weak of stomach or faint of heart, but I like to see it nonetheless.

    • Joe Prince-Wright - Jul 7, 2014 at 9:00 AM

      Don’t think I’ve ever heard a sausage analogy used for a transfer deal before. Well played, sir.

      Seriously though, aren’t you irked that this deal seems to have been in place for months?

      • unclemosesgreen - Jul 7, 2014 at 9:04 AM

        Nope, not in the slightest. I’m already thinking about how to incorporate this stratagem into fantasy leagues. ;-)

        In all seriousness, the sooner the brain trust knows where the vacancies will be and how much money they will have to fill them, the better.

        Remember Joe – At the end of the storm – Is a golden sky – And the sweet silver song of a lark

      • mdac1012 - Jul 7, 2014 at 9:33 AM

        As a Liverpool fan I don’t care if this deal was in place last year or last week, as long as LFC get a good price and they re-invest the money intelligently.

  2. phillyphannn83 - Jul 7, 2014 at 11:39 AM

    I don’t buy it one bit. After the WC incident, every person related to the national club was guilty of saying nothing but lies and unbelievable garbage which none of us believed. Why should we start believing them now?

    • badbadboogie - Jul 7, 2014 at 4:00 PM

      Good on ya for not buying it, the quotes were totally made up by a fan on reddit. NBC (and many other of our “credible news sources” treated it as legitimate)

  3. granadafan - Jul 7, 2014 at 12:05 PM

    Liverpool had to keep their leverage intact against any club who wanted Suarez.. If they threw him under the bus, suspended him, or sat him on the bench, then their negotiation position would have been damaged. They were lucky to get as much transfer money as they did considering what a PR nightmare Suarez is and his hatred of everything England.

    • michaelsmueller - Jul 7, 2014 at 12:08 PM

      You are exactly right.

  4. michaelsmueller - Jul 7, 2014 at 12:07 PM

    I find this hard to believe as well. Even if it is true, its part of the game everyone plays. I agree with mdac1012 – as long as LFC intelligently plow that money back into the team, they keep moving forward.

  5. some1kj - Jul 7, 2014 at 2:19 PM

    Sleazy Suarez, sleazy LFC. Glad to see Suarez out of BPL. Liverpool should be back in their expected #7 slot.

    • badbadboogie - Jul 7, 2014 at 4:12 PM

      Oh please. Those comments were fake. NBC got duped.

  6. klstein6 - Jul 7, 2014 at 4:11 PM

    Are you guys ever going to retract this story since it’s been confirmed as a fake? I’m sure you won’t since it goes against your Man United loving ways. Some topnotch, crack reporting done at this website! Keep up the great work guys!!!

  7. dannymac17 - Jul 8, 2014 at 3:26 AM

    lol you got trolled.

Leave Comment

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!

Featured video

Week 3: Saturday Premier League recap