Jul 7, 2014, 1:19 PM EDT
There are plenty of big names in the news Monday, from World Cup stars to a defender controversially left off England’s roster. Let’s get right to it.
This weekend’s rumor of an Ashley Cole to Roma move is a concrete fact today. The longtime Chelsea defender, 33, is bringing his talents to i Lupi on a two-year deal. He’ll join a D-corps that already has Maicon and Mehdi Benatia.
Liverpool and Lille have agreed on a fee to bring Belgium striker Divock Origi, 19, to Anfield, and the Reds are also looking to bolster the flanks with 20-year-old Benfica winger Lazar Markovic. Origi scored a goal for the Red Devills in the World Cup and netted five times for Lille this season.
Meanwhile, former Blackpool and Crystal Palace man Tom Ince has found a home at Hull.
— Hull City Official (@hullcityteam) July 7, 2014
Manchester City has apparently identified their replacement for Costel Pantillimon, who left for Sunderland on a free transfer. Malaga keeper Wily Caballero will give Joe Hart support and a bit of competition from behind this year.
Finally, versatile 21-year-old left back (or mid) Juan Bernat has made a move from Valencia to Bayern Munich.
- Transfer needs – Everton, Hull, Leicester, Liverpool, Manchester City 1
- Olivier Giroud undergoes ankle surgery, out 3-4 months for Arsenal 0
- $410 million Las Vegas soccer stadium deal closer; next stop, Major League Soccer… 10
- Report: Arsenal bid $82 million for Edinson Cavani. Remy, Falcao, Welbeck linked 9
- Confirmed: Neil Warnock takes over at Crystal Palace; what will he bring? 0
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Whole New World Edition 1