Jul 8, 2014, 4:33 PM EST
The Germans were 5-0 against Brazil inside the first 29 minutes in Belo Horizonte and in the second half they bagged another two before Oscar’s late consolation made it 7-1.
Brazilian fans are in the midst of their worst nightmare.
German scored early and often in the first half of the World Cup semifinal as Miroslav Klose became the leading World Cup scorer in history, Thomas Muller got his fifth of the tournament and Toni Kroos bagged a brace in two minutes. Then Sami Khedira scored to make it 5-0 within the first 30 minutes. Andre Schurrle scored twice more in the second half and Oscar got a late goal for the hosts.
What just happened?
Muller bagged his fifth goal of the tournament (his tenth all-time at the World Cup) after some sloppy early defending from Brazil’s defense let the Germans in. More holes have continued to open up as Germany battered Brazil early on.
In the 11th minute Muller lost his man, David Luiz, then steadied himself as Toni Kroos’ corner was swung in to the back post, before volleying home from six-yards out. Then the home crowd in Belo Horizonte fell silent. Losing an early goal like this was not in the script.
Klose then made it worse as he scored his 16th goal in 23 World Cup matches to become the all-time leading goalscorer in World Cup history. Toni Kroos then bagged two cool finishes in the space of two minutes, before Sami Khedira scored again to make it 5-0 and Brazil’s World Cup ruins were in tatters. Schurrles scored twice, then came Oscar’s consolation in front of stunned home crowd in Belo Horizonte.
This is one of the most remarkable openings to any World Cup game in history.
Below is footage of all the goals from Germany’s demolition job on Brazil. This match will live long in the memory of all those who watched.
- Chelsea 2-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Mourinho’s boys win League Cup trophy 0
- Three things we learned from Liverpool’s win vs. Manchester City 3
- Liverpool 2-1 Manchester City: Pair of Reds stunners stupefy City 4
- MLS roundup: LA Galaxy, Orlando, Red Bulls, Union, RSL, 13 others in preseason finales 0
- WATCH: NYCFC’s Mix Diskerud hits a screamer from 20 yards 0
- WATCH: Michael Bradley, Sebastian Giovinco combine for Jozy Altidore’s first Toronto FC goal 4