Jul 8, 2014, 11:38 AM EST
File this under both “supportive” and “creepy”.
A public relations firm is set to hand out 60,000 masks featuring Neymar’s face in the hopes of filling the stadium with fans wearing their favorite player on their faces.
Lost to a brutal back injury at the knee of Colombia’s Juan Zuniga, Neymar has been given extra-reverential treatment by Brazilian fans at the World Cup. Though there were reports of the 22-year-old making a shocking return from injury, those have now been denied.
And so… masks.
With their main man-child set to miss the rest of the World Cup with acute back knack, Brazilian fans are to be plied with 60,000 Neymar masks for tonight’s semi-final clash against Germany in Belo Horizonte.
Featuring the hashtag #SOMOSTODOSNEYMAR (We are all Neymar), the masks are being circulated by PR agency Pereira & O’Dell, with the plan being to fill the Estadio Mineirao to the brim with Neymar’s shiny face.
Well that’s one way to honor a guy.
- Despite their struggles, Liverpool’s season intact as spirit shines through 3
- Champions League roundup: Arsenal, Atletico Madrid through, tense elsewhere 3
- Ludogorets 2-2 Liverpool: Late equalizer spells more misery for Reds, but there’s hope 1
- Men in Blazers podcast: Kyle Martino joins to talk Thanksgiving and tie knots 0
- Champions League Wednesday preview: Arsenal can advance, Liverpool need kick-start 1
- Jose Mourinho to Schalke after Chelsea’s 5-0 win: “It’s not your fault” 1