Jul 8, 2014, 11:38 AM EDT
File this under both “supportive” and “creepy”.
A public relations firm is set to hand out 60,000 masks featuring Neymar’s face in the hopes of filling the stadium with fans wearing their favorite player on their faces.
Lost to a brutal back injury at the knee of Colombia’s Juan Zuniga, Neymar has been given extra-reverential treatment by Brazilian fans at the World Cup. Though there were reports of the 22-year-old making a shocking return from injury, those have now been denied.
And so… masks.
With their main man-child set to miss the rest of the World Cup with acute back knack, Brazilian fans are to be plied with 60,000 Neymar masks for tonight’s semi-final clash against Germany in Belo Horizonte.
Featuring the hashtag #SOMOSTODOSNEYMAR (We are all Neymar), the masks are being circulated by PR agency Pereira & O’Dell, with the plan being to fill the Estadio Mineirao to the brim with Neymar’s shiny face.
Well that’s one way to honor a guy.
- Sunday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Manchester City ready to spend, Spurs agree for Alderweireld 0
- Sepp Blatter claims French and German presidents influenced World Cup voters 1
- United States, Japan meet in Women’s World Cup final with high hopes back home 2
- Krieger credits Ellis, communication for United States’ defensive success 2
- Chile 0-0 (4-1 PKs) Argentina: Chile’s first Copa America title in 99-year history (video) 3
- Lloyd, Brian prove crucial to United States’ turnaround at Women’s World Cup 2