Jul 8, 2014, 11:38 AM EST
File this under both “supportive” and “creepy”.
A public relations firm is set to hand out 60,000 masks featuring Neymar’s face in the hopes of filling the stadium with fans wearing their favorite player on their faces.
Lost to a brutal back injury at the knee of Colombia’s Juan Zuniga, Neymar has been given extra-reverential treatment by Brazilian fans at the World Cup. Though there were reports of the 22-year-old making a shocking return from injury, those have now been denied.
And so… masks.
With their main man-child set to miss the rest of the World Cup with acute back knack, Brazilian fans are to be plied with 60,000 Neymar masks for tonight’s semi-final clash against Germany in Belo Horizonte.
Featuring the hashtag #SOMOSTODOSNEYMAR (We are all Neymar), the masks are being circulated by PR agency Pereira & O’Dell, with the plan being to fill the Estadio Mineirao to the brim with Neymar’s shiny face.
Well that’s one way to honor a guy.
- Inside Look, MLS Cup Playoffs: How Revs, Galaxy built very different one-goal leads 0
- Recap: LA Galaxy grab 1-0 lead over Seattle Sounders in Western Conference Championship 1
- Despite artificial turf, New York Red Bulls’ Thierry Henry says he’ll play next week at New England 1
- Recap: New England Revolution snatch 2-1 lead, two away goals from New York Red Bulls 6
- Video: Brendan Rodgers says Liverpool needs to “become a team” 1
- Crystal Palace 3-1 Liverpool: Bolasie carves up Liverpool defense 3