Jul 8, 2014, 11:38 AM EDT
File this under both “supportive” and “creepy”.
A public relations firm is set to hand out 60,000 masks featuring Neymar’s face in the hopes of filling the stadium with fans wearing their favorite player on their faces.
Lost to a brutal back injury at the knee of Colombia’s Juan Zuniga, Neymar has been given extra-reverential treatment by Brazilian fans at the World Cup. Though there were reports of the 22-year-old making a shocking return from injury, those have now been denied.
And so… masks.
With their main man-child set to miss the rest of the World Cup with acute back knack, Brazilian fans are to be plied with 60,000 Neymar masks for tonight’s semi-final clash against Germany in Belo Horizonte.
Featuring the hashtag #SOMOSTODOSNEYMAR (We are all Neymar), the masks are being circulated by PR agency Pereira & O’Dell, with the plan being to fill the Estadio Mineirao to the brim with Neymar’s shiny face.
Well that’s one way to honor a guy.
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – The faith-destroying edition 1
- PST’s Major League Soccer Player of the Week: LA Galaxy’s Landon Donovan 0
- What tomorrow’s goalkeeper platoon tells us about the U.S. goalkeeper void 5
- Jozy Altidore to captain U.S. Wednesday against Czech Republic 0
- With Radamel Falcao, can Manchester United challenge for the Premier League? 11
- Why Danny Welbeck’s move to Arsenal was the best Deadline Day deal 9