Jul 9, 2014, 5:54 PM EDT
Argentina and the Netherlands are heading to a grueling extra 30 minutes of play, at least, with the scores locked at 0-0 at the Arena Corinthians.
Gonzalo Higuain came closest to putting either side ahead, as his second half effort slammed into the side-netting from close range. Both sides look extremely wary of blowing their chance of making the final rather than grabbing the occasion by the scruff of the neck.
[ FOLLOW LIVE - Soccerly’s real-time match center ]
Holland have hardly been an attacking force throughout the entire game as Lionel Messi‘s first half free kick was the only effort on target throughout a hard-fought 90 minutes. However in the dying stages of normal time Arjen Robben burst through the Argentine defense but holding midfielder Javier Mascherano tracked his run and performed a wonderful last-ditch tackle.
Despite not having the breathtaking amount of goals the other semifinal between Brazil and Germany had on Tuesday, this clash between two giants of the global game is an absorbing battle.
Tim Krul is limbering up on the bench and Louis van Gaal has yet to make his third and final substitution. Surely Krul won’t come on for the penalty kicks and play the hero for the second game running?
- Americans Abroad wrap: Guzan stays unbeaten, Lichaj & Bedoya thrive 0
- Done Deal: Listing all the Deadline Day deals from the Premier League 1
- Southampton sign Toby Alderweireld, add $18 million winger Sadio Mane 0
- WATCH: Special ‘Transfer Deadline Day show’ live online, NBCSN 0
- Reports: Arsenal to fork over $26 mil for Manchester United’s Welbeck 4
- Done Deal: Daley Blind is officially a member of Manchester United 1