Jul 9, 2014, 5:54 PM EDT
Argentina and the Netherlands are heading to a grueling extra 30 minutes of play, at least, with the scores locked at 0-0 at the Arena Corinthians.
Gonzalo Higuain came closest to putting either side ahead, as his second half effort slammed into the side-netting from close range. Both sides look extremely wary of blowing their chance of making the final rather than grabbing the occasion by the scruff of the neck.
[ FOLLOW LIVE - Soccerly’s real-time match center ]
Holland have hardly been an attacking force throughout the entire game as Lionel Messi‘s first half free kick was the only effort on target throughout a hard-fought 90 minutes. However in the dying stages of normal time Arjen Robben burst through the Argentine defense but holding midfielder Javier Mascherano tracked his run and performed a wonderful last-ditch tackle.
Despite not having the breathtaking amount of goals the other semifinal between Brazil and Germany had on Tuesday, this clash between two giants of the global game is an absorbing battle.
Tim Krul is limbering up on the bench and Louis van Gaal has yet to make his third and final substitution. Surely Krul won’t come on for the penalty kicks and play the hero for the second game running?
- Europe League roundup: Everton big winners at home; Spurs left with draw on the road 0
- It’s not too late for Major League Soccer to turn away from its new logo 16
- Premier League Power Rankings: Red Devils and Villans on the up 1
- PHOTO: MLS unveils new logo. What do you think? 22
- US move up one place in latest FIFA rankings; Wales the big winners 0
- Julian Draxler’s stunning performance puts Chelsea, Premier League on high alert 1