Jul 9, 2014, 12:54 PM EDT
A report from Jeremy Schaap of ESPN says Dutch star Robin van Persie will play for the Netherlands in its World Cup semifinal against Argentina on Wednesday afternoon.
Van Persie has been struggling with stomach problems ahead of the clash, and missed parts of Tuesday’s training. The ailment, and manager Louis van Gaal, triggered doubts for fans.
Yet RVP has come through the sickness and is ready to try and make it back-to-back World Cup finals for Holland.
Coach Louis van Gaal said “he expects Robin van Persie to play,” Schaap said on Wednesday.
The Manchester United striker and defender Daryl Janmaat — who also has stomach problems — trained separately from the team on Tuesday.
Van Persie scored three times in the first two Dutch matches of the World Cup, including a spectacular diving header against defending champions Spain that was instantly hailed as one of the goals of the tournament.
I’m not sure there were ever legit doubts that RVP wouldn’t go in this massive match, and I doubt this is a smokescreen. Be prepared for fireworks later today.
- Premier League transfer window grades – Which team did the best business? 0
- Done Deal: Radamel Falcao completes move to Manchester United 3
- Done Deal: Better late than never, Arsenal seals deal with Welbeck 2
- Americans Abroad wrap: Guzan stays unbeaten, Lichaj & Bedoya thrive 1
- Done Deal: Listing all the Deadline Day deals from the Premier League 5
- Southampton sign Toby Alderweireld, add $18 million winger Sadio Mane 0