Jul 9, 2014, 12:54 PM EDT
A report from Jeremy Schaap of ESPN says Dutch star Robin van Persie will play for the Netherlands in its World Cup semifinal against Argentina on Wednesday afternoon.
Van Persie has been struggling with stomach problems ahead of the clash, and missed parts of Tuesday’s training. The ailment, and manager Louis van Gaal, triggered doubts for fans.
Yet RVP has come through the sickness and is ready to try and make it back-to-back World Cup finals for Holland.
Coach Louis van Gaal said “he expects Robin van Persie to play,” Schaap said on Wednesday.
The Manchester United striker and defender Daryl Janmaat — who also has stomach problems — trained separately from the team on Tuesday.
Van Persie scored three times in the first two Dutch matches of the World Cup, including a spectacular diving header against defending champions Spain that was instantly hailed as one of the goals of the tournament.
I’m not sure there were ever legit doubts that RVP wouldn’t go in this massive match, and I doubt this is a smokescreen. Be prepared for fireworks later today.
- MLS Snapshot: LA Galaxy 2-1 Sporting Kansas City 0
- MLS Snapshot: Real Salt Lake 0-1 Vancouver Whitecaps 0
- MLS Snapshot: Columbus Crew SC 3-0 Orlando City SC 4
- Premier League Sunday preview: Can Spurs, Man City find hope versus Newcastle, West Ham? 0
- Premier League roundup: Chelsea closer to title; Leicester climb off the bottom 0
- Despite defeat to Chelsea, Louis van Gaal hails Manchester United’s “best match of season” 1