Van Gaal confirms Krul was set for PKs, again, laments “disappointing” defeat

Jul 9, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT

France v Netherlands - International Friendly Getty Images

In what was always going to be his penultimate game in charge of the Dutch national team, Louis van Gaal was hoping things would play out differently.

The 62-year-old manager, who will take charge of Manchester United as soon as his time at the World Cup is up, was downbeat in his post-match press conference after seeing his side beaten 4-2 on penalties after a tense 0-0 draw played out in Sao Paulo.

Three things  | Recap WC final set |

Van Gaal confirmed in the press conference that specialist goalkeeper Tim Krul, who LVG bought on as a substitute with seconds to spare of their quarterfinal match with Costa Rica specifically to play the hero role in the penalty shootout, was going to come on to face the penalty kicks once again.

However in the 96th minute van Gaal had to burn his last sub on Robin van Persie, as the Dutch skipper was struggling to stand up after overcoming injury and illness to make the semifinal. That, looking back on it now, may have been the pivotal moment as despite Jasper Cillessen’s best efforts, the Ajax ‘keeper couldn’t keep out any of the Argentine players’ efforts.

Speaking overall about Holland crashing out, plus Krul not coming on, here’s what van Gaal had to say.

“If I had had the opportunity to substitute Cillessen I would have, but I had used my three subs. Really it [the defeat] is the most disappointing thing that could have happened. It is terrible to lose like this. At the very least we were equal to them, if not better. It is a disappointment.”

1. justafan2014 - Jul 9, 2014 at 8:30 PM

If not better…

You lost. Better team goes onward.

• lewpuls - Jul 10, 2014 at 6:44 AM

In international football, more than most sports, the best team doesn’t always win. The game was a draw, Argentina survived the lottery. That’s not a win, it’s an advance.

• chunkala - Jul 10, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Penalty kicks prove nothing. It’s like saying Jay Cutler is a better quarterback than Joe Montana because he throws harder.

2. drewvt6 - Jul 9, 2014 at 8:55 PM

Whatever, was a terrible cynical approach to the game. No one deserves to advance. Neither team could combat the physical nature of the other’s defense. Will be interesting to see how Argentina approaches Germany’s bigger/stronger/better passing attack. Will be interesting to see if Argentina can exploit Germany’s wide defense without DiMaria.

3. heelfans - Jul 9, 2014 at 10:08 PM

For as long as I can remember, I have been a fan of the Dutch — primarily because of Cruyff and “total football”. Unfortunately, I watched the 2010 WC final (several times) and the love affair ended!! This time around we had a slightly more suble version of 2010, but overall still a disgrace to Cruyff’s memory. I don’t think I will ever forgive Robben for the Mexico dive( yes Rafa “touched” the toe of his shoe, but I’m 71 and that wouldn’t have brought me down). I would have much preferred a 7 – 1 trouncing but at least they went down!!!

4. stirged - Jul 9, 2014 at 10:16 PM

I get that RVP looked like a fish out of water. But in the 100th minute, I’d move him up top and tell him to flop around. At that point it’s a defensive game and he is a forward anyways. You already proved the Krul strategy, so I’m baffled at that last sub.

5. thedeadlockvictim - Jul 9, 2014 at 10:27 PM

So why didn’t he start Krul?

6. granadafan - Jul 10, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Teams should get at least one extra substitute in extra time. While we’re at it, if you have to be taken off the field, you shouldn’t be able to hop right off and run back on the pitch. You can only lie on the pitch for one minute. If not, get thee off the pitch. Time limit penalty for recovery on the sidelines, say 5 minutes. That ought to cut back on the dives and fake injuries. If you’re truly hurt, you’re not coming back right away anyways.

Week 8: Saturday PL recap