Jul 9, 2014, 7:23 PM EDT
There is perhaps no greater feeling in soccer than the glory of winning on penalty kicks after a hard-fought 120 minutes.
Argentina’s players know that right about now.
As for the Netherlands, the agony of defeat after being five spot kicks away from a second-straight World Cup final is excruciating.
Below is a run down on how each PK played out, while you can also watch the video highlights of the entire game (basically the PK shootout) below.
Argentina will now face Germany in the World Cup final, while the Netherlands will face Brazil in the third-place game on Saturday.
How the penalty kicks played out
Netherlands: The excellent Vlaar steps up but puts it straight down the middle. Romero saves. 0-0
Argentina: Messi steps up, sends Cillessen the wrong way. Cool as a cucumber. 1-0 Argentina.
Netherlands: Robben with a short run up. Closes his foot on it, puts it into the bottom corner. 1-1
Argentina: Ezequeil Garay smashes home the penalty kick. Straight down the middle. 2-1 Argentina.
Netherlands: Sneijder denied as Romero stretches full length to his right to tip it wide. 2-1 Argentina.
Argentina: Sergio Aguero sneaks the ball just under Cillessen who guessed right. 3-1 Argentina
Netherlands: Kuyt slots home coolly as the veteran kept Holland in with a chance. Argentina 3-2
Argentina: Substitute Rodriguez was the hero, despite Cillessen getting a piece of it. ARGENTINA WIN 4-2
- Premier League Playback: Title in the bag, can Chelsea now create a dynasty? 0
- Hull City 1-3 Arsenal: Gunners dominant in first half, cruise past Tigers 1
- MLS Team of the Week — Stars of Week 9 0
- Watch Live: Hull City vs. Arsenal (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- Five things to look out for in UEFA Champions League semifinals 2
- Newcastle United standing by Carver through final matches of relegation battle 0