Jul 9, 2014, 1:47 PM EST
That’s not a typo: FIFA has suspended the Nigeria Football Federation from inclusion in international activity.
Specifically, the suspension comes from the FIFA Emergency Committee and says that NFF is guilty of breaking FIFA statutes that demand federations work without third-party interference.
The NFF has been in trouble since the nation’s government stepped in and fired the NFF’s entire administration, ignoring several edicts from FIFA.
What’s the punishment? Harsh.
— No teams, including clubs, can compete internationally during the suspension. No sporting contact, tournaments, training, friendlies, nothing.
— No members or officials can take part in any training courses.
— If the suspension isn’t lifted by July 15, Nigeria will see its first ban: from August’s U-20 Women’s World Cup.
The decision follows a letter sent by FIFA to the NFF on 4 July 2014, in which it expressed its great concern after the NFF was served with court proceedings and consequently an order preventing the president of the NFF, the NFF Executive Committee members and the NFF Congress from running the affairs of Nigerian football was granted by a High Court of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
The said court order compelled the Nigerian Minister of Sports to appoint a senior member of the civil service to manage the NFF until the matter was heard in court, without giving any date for such a hearing. The authorities then appointed a person who decided to convene an extraordinary general assembly on 5 July 2014. This extraordinary general assembly was convened in violation of the NFF statutes.
Originally, an elective congress had been planned by the NFF to take place on 26 August 2014.
The suspension will be lifted once the court actions have been withdrawn and the properly elected NFF Executive Committee, the NFF general assembly and the NFF administration are able to work without any interference in their affairs.
If FIFA’s throwing down a suspension gauntlet, you know there’s some really nefarious antics behind the scenes.
- Ban upheld: Diego Costa to miss Saturday’s visit from Manchester City, 2 more 1
- Report: Liverpool hoping to buy Ings, loan striker back to Burnley for season 1
- David Beckham says progress still being made toward MLS stadium in Miami 1
- DONE DEAL: Mattia Destro, Juan Agudelo sign with new clubs AC Milan, New England Revolution 0
- Juan Agudelo signs with New England Revolution, completes return to MLS 2
- How will Chelsea, Manchester City line up in huge Premier League clash? 2