Jul 10, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT
Okay, don’t scroll down yet. Have a go yourself at answering this question before you look at the actual answers.
Question: What three words would you use to describe the USA’s World Cup performance?
Give yourself a moment… if so, resurrect those feelings from the past few weeks and turn them into utterances. Three, to be exact.
“USA: Determined. Heroic. Courageous.”
Jackpot. Aren’t those the three words citizens dream about when asked how their country is viewed by the world? I think so.
The clever clogs’ over at Cambridge University Press have been doing some research of the media and found the three most-used words to describe each World Cup team. Below is the table they compiled showing how the WC effort of each nation can be summed up in three words.
Any surprises there?
Uruguay… ouch. England… not so good. Germany… typical.
Have a gander at this list, it is pretty spot on.
- FIFA ethics committee bans 11 current, former officials from all football-related activities 1
- UEFA calls for postponement of FIFA presidential election, threatens to boycott congress 4
- FIFA president Sepp Blatter releases first statement since overnight arrests 10
- Three things we learned from the US Department of Justice news conference on the FIFA investigation 6
- FIFA presidential elections will go on Friday despite arrests 5
- FBI, US Department of Justice issues damning statement on FIFA, details corruption investigation 8