Jul 10, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
With Luis Suarez‘s move to Barcelona almost complete, Brendan Rodgers and Liverpool are already thinking about spending the $130 million.
On Wednesday PST’s Mike Prindiville wrote that a $34 million deal for Benfica winger Lazar Markovic is set to be confirmed, while Belgian striker Divock Origi is also set to move to Anfield for $17 million.
[ RELATED: Suarez set for $130 million Barca move ]
Now Rodgers is said to be mulling over a move for Swansea’s left back Ben Davies, according to the Telegraph, as that position certainly became a problem for Liverpool last season. Youngster Jon Flanagan deputized for the injured Jose Enrique at left back for much of the 2013-14 campaign, even though Flanagan is a natural right back, but more experience may be needed in the left full back position. Loan signing Aly Sissokho struggled to adapt to the PL and after conceding 50 goals in 38 PL games, it is clear that Liverpool’s defensive frailties need to be addressed.
Davies, 21, has worked with Rodgers at Swansea as a youngster and the Welsh international is great on the ball and very good defensively. At the tender age of 21 he already has two PL campaigns under his belt and he would fit the Homegrown bill as Liverpool prepare for life in the UEFA Champions League next season and beyond. Davies has played 70 times in the PL over the past two seasons, scoring three times, plus he played in seven Europa League matches for the Swans.
The young Welshman may not be the most glamorous signing of the summer for Liverpool but he’s one that is desperately needed.
- UEFA Champions League preview: Can PSG, Bayern come back from 3-1 down to Barcelona, Porto? 0
- MLS Team of the Week — Stars of Week 7 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Big climbers galore as momentum kicks in 1
- Premier League Playback: Manchester United prove they can challenge Chelsea for the title 2
- Sepp Blatter: Putin, Russia will host “best ever World Cup” in 2018 3
- Real Madrid’s Gareth Bale set to miss three weeks, Champions League clash vs. Atletico, with injury 1