Jul 11, 2014, 3:30 PM EST
LeBron James isn’t the only title winner on the move today.
Nothing can officially happen yet until the World Cup is over for Toni Kroos, but according to German legend Franz Beckenbauer, the Bayern Munich star is moving on from the Bundesliga.
A heavily-rumored move to Real Madrid seems all but complete. According to journalist Fabrizio Romano, Beckenbauer said, “we are losing a champion.”
Beckenbauer is in the middle of a FIFA suspension, but that doesn’t mean he’s completely disconnected.
Having given his entire professional career to Bayern Munich, Kroos is likely searching for a new challenge, and Beckenbauer understands that.
“In a career there is also a future,” Beckenbauer said. “And if it is an experience abroad, going to a club like Real Madrid is priceless.”
Kroos rejected a new deal at Bayern Munich, and this seems to be Real Madrid’s attempt to match Barcelona’s move for Luis Suarez.
It also means new Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal will have to look elsewhere to grab a marquee signing. The Red Devils were reportedly heavily interested in Kroos, although the German said multiple times he’s not interested.
- Diego Costa maintains his innocence, says “I’ve not done anything wrong” 0
- DONE DEAL: Seydou Doumbia to Roma headlines quiet Saturday for transfers 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: Top-half teams jockey for position 0
- Premier League roundup: Big wins for Manchester United, Liverpool, Tottenham and more 0
- Three things we learned from Chelsea vs. Manchester City 0
- Player Ratings: How did Chelsea, Manchester City’s stand-in’s fare? 0