Jul 11, 2014, 9:30 AM EST
USMNT midfielder Mikkel “Mix” Diskerud highlighted his return to club ball with a bang, scoring in Rosenborg’s first qualifying round win over Latvian club FC Jelgava on Thursday.
The 23-year-old used the side of his foot to pop a first-touch volley over the head of Jelgava’s keeper as part of a 2-0 win for the Norwegian side, who will move on to play Ireland’s Sligo Rovers in the second qualifying round.
But will Diskerud still be with the club when that happens? Before we get to that, let’s watch the goal:
The first leg against Sligo comes Thursday, but Diskerud’s name has been linked with moves to Celtic and Werder Bremen amongst other locations. Earlier this week he told Glasgow’s The Evening Times that he told his agents not to tell him of rumors during the World Cup.
“During the World Cup, I told my agents that I did not want to hear about any transfer talk.
“I have obviously read about the interest from Celtic and Werder Bremen. But for the moment, I don’t know much about it.
“I have thrived at Rosenborg, so I have no problem being here.”
But Rosenborg manager Per Joar Hansen has accepted that Diskerud is likely to leave Trondheim soon.
He said: “There will definitely be players leaving this summer.
“I know it’s going to happen. The transfer window is open and we have players here who have been in Brazil.
“These players are naturally going to want to join a bigger club.”
Diskerud is expected to leave for a lower fee due to there only being six months left on his contract.
A Celtic move may appeal to Diskerud, who would play under Norwegian coach Ronny Deila.
- Marvell Wynne, Bakary Soumare headline Stage 2 of MLS Re-Entry Draft results 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Arsenal, Everton rising, Saints falling 2
- Robbie Rogers: FIFA “insane” to host World Cups in Russia, Qatar 5
- Stoke City confirm Brek Shea is finalizing move to Orlando City 1
- Soccer stadium approved in Las Vegas, as MLS expansion talk heats up in Sin City 2
- Borussia Dortmund’s Marco Reus fined $665,000 for driving without a license 1