Jul 11, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT
The poorly-kept secret is out in the open, as Liverpool has admitted that Luis Suarez is skipping town.
Barcelona is the destination and will be his fifth club since 2005, having played for Nacional, Groningen and Ajax before joining the Reds in 2007.
Suarez, 27, played in 110 league matches and bit one man during his time at Anfield, the same exact figures as his time with Ajax.
He scored 31 goals for the Reds last year, but became expendable upon taking his teething issues to the international stage in the World Cup this summer.
Liverpool FC confirms that Luis Suarez will be leaving the club after a transfer agreement was reached with FC Barcelona. The player now has permission to complete the usual formalities, which will then conclude the transfer.
We would like to thank Luis for his contribution and the role he played in helping bring Champions League football back to Anfield.
Everyone at Liverpool Football Club wishes Luis and his family well for the future.
FIFA suspended Suarez from soccer for nine matches and four months after his bite of Italian defender Giorgio Chiellini. FIFA has rejected his appeal, though he can still appeal to the Court of Arbitration of Sport.
A $137 million fee has previously been reported for the transfer.
Here’s what Suarez said, from the AP:
“It is with a heavy heart that I leave Liverpool for a new life and new challenges in Spain,” Suarez said in a statement released by Liverpool.
“Me and my family have fallen in love with this club and with the city. We will always be Liverpool supporters. This club did all they could to get me to stay, but playing and living in Spain, where my wife’s family live, is a lifelong dream and ambition. I believe now the timing is right.”
- MLS preview: FC Dallas vs. Sounders, Whitecaps vs. Timbers headline Week 4 0
- Report: Liverpool’s Daniel Sturridge to miss a month with hip injury 7
- EURO 2016 preview: Qualifying resumes for England, Spain, Germany, Italy 0
- Lionel Messi earns $1.4 million per week, tops Cristiano Ronaldo, Neymar as richest player 4
- Morgan Schneiderlin wants Southampton exit if they fail to make UEFA Champions League 4
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo could be fined, suspended for “calm down” celebration 6