Jul 11, 2014, 8:13 PM EDT
Argentinian media have also corroborated the story.
Ospina, currently with French club Nice, was a part of the Colombian squad that took the World Cup by storm. Their star was forward James Rodriguez, but Ospina’s back line allowed just four goals over five World Cup matches.
Szczesny’s number-2 last season, Lukasz Fabianski, had his contract run out and it was not renewed after seven seasons at the Emirates. He has since signed with Swansea City.
The reports tab Ospina with a price tag in the range of $5 million. He speaks fluent French, always a good thing when Arsene Wenger is in charge. The Arsenal boss was on hand at the World Cup working as an analyst for French TV.
The Gunners were also linked with Cardiff City’s David Marshall, who was one of their few bright spots in a relegation season, but the reports suggest Ospina’s lower price is attracting the Londoners to him instead.
While moving clubs would be a step up for Ospina, he clearly would see a drop in playing time barring an unforseen injury to Arsenal’s current number-1, and as the starter of a national side, regular game time is usually a positive thing even for a lesser club. He made 29 Ligue 1 appearances last year, missing out only on a small stretch due to a knee problem.
- Chris Smalling signs new Manchester United contract through 2019 0
- Franz Beckenbauer: Der Kaiser weighs in on Klopp, Dante and Bayern’s CL hopes 0
- UEFA Champions League preview: Can PSG, Bayern come back from 3-1 down to Barcelona, Porto? 0
- MLS Team of the Week — Stars of Week 7 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Big climbers galore as momentum kicks in 1
- Premier League Playback: Manchester United prove they can challenge Chelsea for the title 2