Jul 11, 2014, 6:42 PM EST
Things seem to be falling into place for a few clubs as the new season creeps closer.
Luis Suarez has dominated the transfer headlines today, but there is other noise buzzing around England’s top flight.
With Swansea’s capture of Bafetembi Gomis a few weeks ago, things are beginning to make more sense. It’s been rumored for a few days now that the club is resigned to losing attacking midfielder Michu, and Napoli is interested.
According to Italian journalist Gianluca di Marzio, Swansea are offering Michu to Napoli in exchange for Argentinian defender Federico Fernandez (pictured, left).
The 25-year-old defender has been a cog in Alejandro Sabella’s stout Argentine defense which has allowed just three goals all World Cup. He played much of Napoli’s season, making 26 league appearances, mostly pairing with Raul Albiol in central defense.
Since Michu’s breakout 2012/13 season with Swansea, where he carried the club scoring 18 goals, he’s made just 17 league appearances and scored twice, hampered by injury.
Di Marzio says Napoli is considering the offer.
In lower-division news, relegated Cardiff City may be losing its best defender as the club prepares for the Championship. Gary Medel, who stood out for Chile in the World Cup, is catching the eye of Inter, according to Sky Sports.
New Inter sporting director Piero Ausilio told Sky, “We are looking for a midfielder with the characteristics of aggressiveness and determination. Medel has those qualities and we like him, but we are also evaluating other players.”
The ferocious defensive midfielder deputized in Chile’s back line and was brilliant, adding versatility to his value. Medel told reporters in Brazil that he would be happy to move to Italy, and Cardiff manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said he believes Medel “deserves to be playing at a higher level than the Championship.” Links have previously mentioned Inter would be hoping to loan Medel.
The report also mentions that Inter was hoping to secure Manchester City castaway Stevan Jovetic, but was told the player is still part of Manuel Pellegrini’s plans despite making just two league appearances last year.
- Chile vs. USA preview: Who’s here to stay as USMNT kicks off 2015? 0
- Report: Juan Agudelo close to signing with his former MLS team, New England Revolution 4
- Head of Dutch FA, Michael van Praag, will challenge Blatter for FIFA presidency 1
- Newcastle United name John Carver head coach until end of 2014-15 season 0
- Transfer ban for Real Madrid? Probe launched after signing of Venezuelan kids 3
- Transfer rumor roundup: Ings to Tottenham Hotspur, Busquets to Manchester United 0