Jul 11, 2014, 10:20 AM EST
Seventy-five million pounds is a lot of dough for any soccer player, but it’s not the most money spent to bring a player to a new club.
So where does the Luis Suarez to Barcelona transfer fee fit in on the list of most expensive transfers ever?
First, some perspective: Barca’s Suarez buy roughly equates to the combined fees of Alexis Sanchez, Diego Costa and Claudio Bravo, or the combined fees of Mario Mandzukic, Ander Herrera and Luke Shaw.
Let me be among the first to say, for a 27-year-old, this won’t be worth it (or in the words of the picture above, “What has two thumbs and is a big rip-off?)
$128 million. Wow.
Top Ten transfer fees, all-time (in British pounds)
1. Gareth Bale, Tottenham to Real Madrid, £86m
2. Cristiano Ronaldo, Manchester United to Real Madrid, £80m
3. Luis Suarez, Liverpool to Barcelona, £75m
4. Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Inter Milan to Barcelona, £59m
5. Kaka, AC Milan to Real Madrid, £56m
6. Edinson Cavani, Napoli to PSG, £55m
7. Radamel Falcao, Atletico Madrid to Monaco, £51m
8. Fernando Torres, Liverpool to Chelsea, £50m
9. Neymar, Santos to Barcelona, £48m
10. Zinedine Zidane, Juventus to Real Madrid, £46m
- Report: Houston Dynamo the front-runner to land Erick ‘Cubo’ Torres 0
- Men in Blazers podcast: Man United’s romp, Arsenal’s form and more 0
- Dreams do come true: DC United seal deal for new stadium they will call home 0
- American lawyer Michael Garcia resigns as FIFA’s ethics prosecutor 7
- Report: New England Revolution, Orlando City battling it out for Robinho 2
- Liverpool’s injured Daniel Sturridge to link up with Boston Red Sox 0