Jul 12, 2014, 6:59 AM EST
Fantastic performances at the World Cup — soccer’s biggest stage — can help players secure massive moves to massive clubs. Colombia’s James Rodríguez is hoping that his excellent showing will help him fulfill his dreams.
Speaking to Spanish media outlet MARCA, James said:
Playing for Real Madrid is my life’s dream: it’d be a privilege to play alongside so many stars. If it happened, I’d enjoy it to the max. It’s really flattering to know that a club of Real Madrid’s stature is interested in me. It’d be a dream to join the club of my dreams. I have a great deal of respect for other clubs and admire the good football they play, but ultimately Real Madrid are Real Madrid. I’ve always had a thing for them, like I said before.
Various reports have indicated Real are interested in the 23-year-old. However, that doesn’t mean James’ dream will come true.
Just last year, Monaco paid €45m to bring the forward in from Porto. The Ligue 1 side are one of the richest clubs in Europe, and have no need to sell one of their star players. Just last week, Monaco vice-president Vadim Vasilyev said that although there are no guarantees that players will not be sold, but there had been no discussions with any club over a move for James. Vasilyev went on to indicate that Monaco’s desire to keep James:
We believe in him a lot. He’s very important to the team. He still has four years of his contract left and we’re going to do a lot of good things together.
Still … never say never, James.
- Watch Live: Liverpool vs. West Ham United (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- Watch Live: Manchester United vs. Leicester City (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- Premier League transfer needs: What’s been done and what’s left to do by Monday? 1
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 23 0
- Geoff Cameron predicts Super Bowl XLIX win for his New England Patriots 1
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Manchester City, Arsenal, Saints to win 0