Jul 12, 2014, 10:59 AM EDT
Stoke City, under new manager Mark Hughes, finished 9th in the Premier League with 50 points — their best finish since the 1974-1975 season. With an approach less oriented toward Pulis-ball’s defensive tactics, and more toward a free-flowing style, the Potters are hopeful of signing more attacking players.
With that in mind, Stoke are pursuing Barcelona forward Bojan Krkic. The 23-year-old came through the ranks of the Barcelona youth system, making his senior debut when he was barely 17. However, Bojan soon fell behind the likes of certain players. Like, say, David Villa. Or Pedro. Or Lionel Messi.
So in 2011, Bojan made his way to Serie A side Roma, under a complicated deal agreeing certain fees for Roma’s retention or Barcelona’s buyback. Ultimately the forward returned to Barcelona, having stopped off for a loan at Milan along the way. At neither side did he become a regular in the starting XI.
In search of consistent playing time, Bojan spent the next season on loan in the Eredivisie. There he played in 24 of Ajax’s league matches, scoring four goals along the way.
It would be easy to right Bojan off as being a bit of a flop — after all, four goals in a season isn’t many, particularly for a forward. But it’s quite possible he’s simply yet to find the right fit. Stoke are eager to find out if he can shine in England:
Mark has met with the player and we’re quietly confident of getting it all completed soon. Attacking players have been very much the focus for Mark since the end of last season and obviously Bojan would be another very good addition.
What do you think? Would Bojan be a quality signing for the Potters?
- Tuesday’s Top 5 Champions League Goals: Which was the best? 0
- A Klinsmann Casualty? Juan Agudelo passed on by Wolverhampton 3
- Steven Gerrard admits he denied move to Real Madrid and that it may haunt him in the future 0
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Bayern, Chelsea, Shakhtar go crazy on 40-goal night 0
- Chelsea 6-0 Maribor: Hazard brace keeps Blues atop Group G 0
- AS Roma 1-7 Bayern Munich: Sublime Bayern smash Roma to go five points clear in Group E 1