Jul 12, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
Germany is the in-form team, but with thousands flocking from the south to be in Rio de Janeiro for tomorrow’s 2014 World Cup final, Argentina could have the home field advantage, as much as you can enjoy one on rival soil. Add the world’s greatest player to the mix, and plenty of people are picking the Albiceleste to claim their third world title tomorrow at the Maracanã.
David Beckham os one of that group. Speaking to KICKTV’s Jimmy Conrad and Layla Anna-Lee, the former Manchester United, Real Madrid, and LA Galaxy great picked Lionel Messi‘s side, going with a 3-1 score.
From Beckham, as distributed by adidas:
“… Germany has a fantastic team, where they work really well together and have played some amazing football at this tournament. Argentina also has a great team, but they also have Messi, who is quite simply an unbelievable footballer and who I cannot wait to see play with my kids on this greatest of stages. This is why I am going for a 3-1 Argentina win.”
An Albiceleste win will build on titles at Argentina 1978 and Mexico 1986 to tie Germany for the third-most championships in World Cup history. If the Germans win, they’ll tie Italy with four titles, one behind Brazil for the tournament’s all-time lead.
- Three things we learned from Barcelona’s huge win vs. Bayern Munich 0
- Barcelona 3-0 Bayern Munich: Messi magic negates Neuer’s first-half heroics 0
- Spanish FA suspends all domestic games over government dispute 0
- Men In Blazers podcast: Chelsea champs, relegation probe, and Domhnall Gleeson 0
- Freak double injury suddenly puts Rais Mbolhi back in pole position to start for Philadelphia 1
- Luis Suarez surprises Uruguayan cancer patient with video call, brings him to tears 2